CRA Costa Rica whale watching option?+Q on other activities

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

CRA Costa Rica whale watching option?+Q on other activities

Postby cate_lee » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 pm

For the CRA Costa Rica Adventure trip, is there an option for a whales/dolphins watching tour at the last stop of Quepos? On the dossier it only list a dolphin watch sailing tour. I would really like to see both. Wonder if the sailing would be in an area where whales are also located?

(On the CRE Costa Rica Explorer trip which stops at Dominical it specifically has a full day whales and dolphins watching option.)

Secondly, on the trip dossier it says that the adventure theme pack must be booked pre-trip. Is this true? I definitely want to do the stuff listed on it but would prefer to book once I'm there in case I get to a place and either 1) I'm feeling under the weather and need to rest or 2) there are other activies that I want to do more.

If I don't commit myself for the theme pack before hand, can I still book those at the time or am I out of luck?

Thanks very much.
cate_lee
User Rank: Weekender

Re: CRA Costa Rica whale watching option?+Q on other activit

Postby patriceg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:00 pm

We just returned from Costa Rica Quest and it was AWESOME!!! There was an adrenalin package available, but you could also purchase the activities separately (which is what we did, as we were a family of 5.) Plus the CEO will make recommendations, and will answer questions about his/her preferences for activities, and will help schedule around the rains!
patriceg
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Janice08 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:35 pm

See the following topic:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19596

It gives some information about the pros and cons of prebooking activities. It was written when the Adrenaline Theme pack was $150 and the three included activities were canyoneering, white water rafting and ziplining.

I wouldn't book ahead for the same reasons you are hesitating. There are too many options, especially in La Fortuna.

Whale watching is seasonal so being able to see whales will depend on when you are there. A quick google search reveals that December to April is the season for seeing humpback whales according to a few sources. Another article said the peak months for viewing humpbacks are December to March and July to November (but then that website also promoted their tours). Apparently farther south has more whales. When we went on the boat tour we saw dolphins but no whales (early December). We also had the opportunity to go snorkling. The boat crew had crackers to attract the fish but the water was pretty murcky so we didn't see much. It was a fun morning however but like many activities in Costa Rica a bit overpriced.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby cate_lee » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Thank you both for the info. :)

I think I'll wait to book until I'm there. Base on what's listed in the itinerary, the individual activities add up to the same price as the pre-booked pack anyway.

I am planning on going during the whaling season. (Although the early part so maybe not the peak time.) But who knows, even a stated "whale watching" tour might not get you a whale. Nothing in life is guaranteed right? Just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

If not this trip, I'm sure I'll eventually see them with all the places I still want to visit!
cate_lee

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean