CRQ: Recent violence against Canadians in CR

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

CRQ: Recent violence against Canadians in CR

Postby ll44 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Just today on the news I read that a Canadian man (in San Jose) & a woman (different location) were killed in 2 separate incidents in Costa Rica...
Looking for reassurance from some previous CR travellers... getting a little nervous!
ll44
User Rank: Weekender

Re: CRQ: Recent violence against Canadians in CR

Postby foxer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:07 pm

ll44 wrote:Just today on the news I read that a Canadian man (in San Jose) & a woman (different location) were killed in 2 separate incidents in Costa Rica...
Looking for reassurance from some previous CR travellers... getting a little nervous!

Heya,

Just came back from Costa Rica after 12 days (April 20th to May 1st). I had the most amazing time, and can't wait to go back. I felt very safe the entire time I was there - much safer than in some other places I've travelled in the past - including a few places in my own country!

San Jose is very busy, mind, and we didn't spend much time there. When on free time in the different places (Dominical, Uvita, Quepos etc...) I stuck with other group members, and our guides advised us not to travel alone at night. Common sense stuff really.

I've read the story about the guy from Vancouver (newest article suggests he was into shady business deals and may have been targeted) and I couldn't find the story about the woman. But having grown up just outside of Vancouver, BC, there are places there I wouldn't go alone or at night (or with a group) either! And I grew up there and speak the language fluently. And if you follow the news in BC, there has been much gang violence and other awful stuff over the last several years. Everywhere is going to have their issues, a few are random acts.

Stick with the group, listen to your guide, use common sense, and you'll have an amazing time! Again - I can't wait to go back!

Hope this helps!
foxer

Postby colleen and ken » Sat May 25, 2013 10:32 am

Hi, perhaps you're thinking of the woman killed in Cancun, probably a home invasion they say as she was a retired older lady. This can happen anywhere. I live in Toronto and feel nervous sometimes here, afraid of stray bullets that could potentially come from anywhere. That happens,oh say, once a year? Safety in numbers too.-Colleen
colleen and ken
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ll44 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Thank you for your reassurance! :D
ll44

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean