Spending Money

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Spending Money

Postby passionatetraveller » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just booked the Best of Central America Tour and I was wondering if anyone can provide advice on how much money to bring besides money for meals? The tour is 32 days.

This will be my first G Adventures tour so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers!
passionatetraveller
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Spending Money

Postby Janice08 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 pm

If you go to your trip summary and click on the "Before you Go" then "trip details" tabs you will be taken to http://www.gadventures.com/trips/best-o ... 3/details/ . Scroll down to near the end and it gives you a lot of different optional activities. Have a look at the prices and try to figure out how many things you want to do and the costs. Your CEO may also have other ideas of things to do as well. He or she may be able to help you to arrange to do some things on your own instead of the more expensive "tour with guide" option. You can also google "things to do in ________?" for the places you'll be spending time at to get ideas of other activities and costs. Although not mentioned under "optional activities," under the days 10 and 11 it mentions climbing Cerro Negro. If you haven't heard of it, look at this website: http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/tr ... .html?_r=0
If you like to do different things, this one is definitely different. I did it with Quetzal Trekkers last December and it is fun. They let you have 2 runs down whereas the other companies only let you go once. The cost is about $30 depending on what company you go with (plus your transportation into Leon).

You can save some money, especially in Costa Rica where prices for both food and activities are higher than elsewhere, by going to the grocery store and buying food for breakfast and making your own. 3 of us spent $10 on a jar of peanut butter, along with bananas and bread, to eat for 3 breakfasts. We had to restock the fruit and bread but had leftover peanut butter at the end. The one coffee drinker had an immersion water heater to heat up water for coffee. If you are considering this route it is easier if you bring along, or buy when you first arrive, some lighweight plastic cups/plates and a knife for spreading and cutting things.

Don't forget to budget in souveniers if you are prone to buying things. Tips for your main CEO as well as the guides for the different activities can add up quickly. Usually they are well earned just make sure you budget for this.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean