Costa Rica Quest Buses and Hotels

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica Quest Buses and Hotels

Postby north44gal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking of going on this tour at the end of this month (April/2013), and am a bit apprehensive with taking public buses. Does any know if these buses are air conditioned and if there is a lot of time 'wasted' waiting for buses. Also are hotels generally walking distance from the local towns are will we generally have to eat in the hotels or take a taxi/bus to town to eat? I'd prefer to eat where the locals eat, so don't want to feel 'trapped' in a hotel.
north44gal
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica Quest Buses and Hotels

Postby sophiaj » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I would also like to know some information about the public buses as I would like to book this tour end of May!
sophiaj

Re: Costa Rica Quest Buses and Hotels

Postby Janice08 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:06 am

On both my trips to Costa Rica with G Adventures (Costa Rica Quest and Costa Rica Kayaking Adventure) we always had private transportation between towns. Some of the time it was included in the cost as apparently with a full tour group it can be less expensive to have private transportation than buy everyone tickets on a public bus. The other times, the CEO gave the group the option of making up the difference in cost (usually about $7 - $12 per segement) so we could stop when and where we wanted to and go at our own pace. We did take public buses in San Jose and at Quepos and they were similar to city buses anywhere (but a lot less expensive and the drivers gave change).

The only hotel that wasn't in walking distance from restaurants was in Quepos (Mono Azul or Blue Monkey) but not all groups stay there. We ended up taking the bus into town to eat dinner and taking taxis back as the bus quit running by then. Most people ate breakfast at the hotel, some of us had bought a jar of peanunt butter, some tortillas and bananas and made our own breakfasts. For lunch you are out and about anyways so you find somewhere to eat. A lot of day tours include lunch. Most groups tend to eat dinner together but you are under no obligation to. You can, as a group, tell your CEO what type of restaurant you want (local, tourist) and he or she will likely have good suggestions for you.

You'll have a great time. Don't over worry about the fine details - that is what you have a CEO for.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean