Central America - what to wear

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Central America - what to wear

Postby rtp88 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Guys,

At the risk of being a "typical" female, I would like some advice as to what clothes to take to Central America. I'm heading out in May and have been doing some research. However I've read conflicting views and reviews about what to wear. Some people have said just take shorts and vest tops, but others have said that women need to have their knees and shoulders covered. Obviously I don't want to wear anything that is seen as disrespectful but equally I don't want to take clothing that I won't end up wearing.

If anyone could give me some advice I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks, Robyn.
rtp88
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Central America - what to wear

Postby Janice08 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Most of the locals dress conservatively. You will rarely see them wearing shorts away from beach areas. One exception I noticed was in Leon, Nicaragua where both men and women were wearing shorts. That being said, as a tourist, they don't expect you to blend in. No matter what you do, you'll stick out. In the tourist areas wear whatever you feel comfortable in. In the rural areas you will want to be more conservative - no short shorts/skirts, no tight fitting tops, etc. Some people like to bring something a bit dressier for going out in the evening but its not necessary. High heeled shoes don't mix well with cobblestone streets!
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Central America - what to wear

Postby rtp88 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Hey all,

I found this really good website that gives advice and suggestions from other travellers. It's aimed at women (sorry gentlemen) and I've found it to be reassuring, as I am a solo female traveller. Hope you find it useful too.

http://www.journeywoman.com/

Robyn
rtp88

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean