Seeking Opinions of Machu Picchu Trip with Gadventures

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Seeking Opinions of Machu Picchu Trip with Gadventures

Postby kristos86 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi everyone, I've been STRONGLY debating booking the "Amazon To The Andes in Peru" trip which goes to Machu Picchu as well, and I was seeking some honest opinions from anyone who has been on this trip via GAdventures. I've read some mixed reviews (not in terms of the physical aspect of it), but a couple of pretty bad experiences from people who have booked through "G". I am still halfway over the fence already for this trip but I wanted to hear some more direct opinions. I would really appreciate the help!
kristos86
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Seeking Opinions of Machu Picchu Trip with Gadventures

Postby Janice08 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

I haven't done your trip but I did the Peru Panorama 1 1/2 years ago which is a longer version of this trip. It was a great trip and I would recommend doing it. The trip had a lot of early mornings and crammed a lot of adventure into it and I felt it was good value for the money.

The positives:
- Inca Trail - We had a great guide who was very knowledgable and had an honest love for sharing his culture with us. He was encouraging to everyone and always was aware of each of the people he was responsible for. I dont think anyone could complain about the food. 3 hot meals a day (except the last day) where you get to sit down at a table with chairs. The porters looked after all the needs - carrying almost everything (up to 6 kg of personal stuff per person plus all the group stuff), setting up and taking down the campsites, helping the cook with meals prep and cleanup, etc. They earned their money.
- The Amazon - The lodge we stayed at was nice. Again, great meals. No electricity in the cabins but they had warmish running water for showers. Mosquito nets were available if you needed them. Again, the local guide was very good.
- Machu Pichu - We had a guided tour of the main areas for about 2 hours when we arrived with our guide from the Inca Trail. We then had a few hours of free time before we met together in town to catch the train/bus back to Cusco.

Other comments:
- The CEO we had had one goal in life - to be the "Number 1 G Adventures Guide in Peru" which she told us several times. She did the "technical" part of her job well - we always got to our destination on time and hotel check ins and check outs went smooth. She spent little free time with the group. The only times she came out to dinner with us was when she picked an expensive restaurant where she had friends working. Don't get me wrong, the food was good. We did see other G Adventures groups on our trip. Their CEO's, from what we could see were far more attentive to their groups than ours. Generally on trips, the CEO's I've had have been very good to exceptional so my standard might be high.
- Unlike a lot of trips, there isn't a lot of free time on this trip so you don't need to bring a lot of money to do optional activities. Food can be inexpensive if you avoid the tourist restaurants. One expense to budget for is tips. Besides the tip for your CEO at the end, you should consider tipping on the Inca Trail (recommended $40/person divided among the guide, porter and cooks), plus at the jungle lodge you also have a guide assigned to you for the 2 days you are there (plus the lodge staff), and then any guides for optional activities.
- The hotels we stayed in were all adequate for our needs. They were within walking distance of where we wanted to be and clean. Some were better than others. Most would be 2-3 star by North American standards.
- Make sure you read the trip details so you know what you are getting yourself into. Some people don't and they are the ones who are dissapointed or who end up complaining the whole time. You are unlikely to get 5 star hotels on this trip. You are travelling with a group of people. Like it or not, you will be seeing a lot of them. The food isn't what you get at home.
- If you have a sense of adventure, want to see and do new things and want to experience those things with a group of new friends then this trip is for you.

By the way, you might get more answers by posting this in the South America forum.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean