Cuba Explorer trip

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cuba Explorer trip

Postby rosalita » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I am wondering if it is necessary to take a skirt or dress for dinner in any of the various places on the trip?
Would love to know, so I can pack accordingly.
Am quite excited! :D
rosalita
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cuba Explorer trip

Postby rosalita » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Was reading the responses to the Cuba colonial trip. It sounds as if going out does not mean a dress and all.
Would love to know what sorts of foods are on the menu at private homes where I shall be staying?

And also, about amount to tip
rosalita

Postby indi06 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:46 pm

I just got back from Cuba a few days ago. I loved it I want to go back. Most tourists don't really dress up Cubans love to dress up though so up to u really. No where appears to have a dress code to get in.
I was dreading Cuban food after what you read in guide books and online buy loved it in the end. Cubans do great Cuban good. Its when you get Cuban Italian and Cuban chinesevthats it a bit yuk.
indi06
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby kateyb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Be ready for rice and beans and a choice of pork/chicken or fish. It was good, but got really boring after awhile. I went out and had pizza or spaghetti just to change it up. But that is very boring in itself but it was nice to change it up a bit!
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby careau » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I felt comfortable in a `travel` type skirt or pants and nice t-shirt at all times. Never felt over/under dressed. But some girls on the tour liked to dress up for dancing/music evenings so you might want to throw one casual dress in the suitcase if you want, you`ll have a few occasions to wear it.

For menus at the homestays. They usually give you a choice of protein: chicken or fish are common. Then accompany it with a soup of salad to start. The soups were fantastic, the salads a bit bland. Rice, beans or potatoes and a few veggies were served with the main and fresh fruit for desert. And white bread. The meals were all good, the best one was by far at the main casa in Trinidad. They run about $10 pesos.

As for tiping, I usually just ran a tab and tried to buy as much of my food and water from them as possible (knowing the prices were somewhat inflated compared to alternatives) and simply rounded up a bit when it came time to settle the bill upon departure. Some on my tour didn`t tip or buy anything from them while others were VERY generous so really...it`s up to you to do what you feel is right.
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean