How much spending money for Costa Rica Quest?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How much spending money for Costa Rica Quest?

Postby aprilchanyi162 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:53 pm

I am planing on doing the CRA trip on Feb 23rd. I am all excited for it but the only problem I am having is trying to figure out what my budget should be. Right now I am planing on $1000 for optionals. And $2000 for spending money. Is that about right or should I plan for more or less?
aprilchanyi162
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How much spending money for Costa Rica Quest?

Postby Janice08 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Not sure if you are doing the CRQ or CRA. The Costa Rica Adventure (CRA) is a longer version of the CRQ. Unless you have extravagent tastes you have plenty of money! Food costs can vary greatly. If you eat in "tourist" restaurants the food and drink costs are similar to North America but if you eat where the locals do, the cost can be half that. You can also buy food at the grocery store for breakfasts and or lunches if you chose to do so. All your accomodation and transportation costs are already paid for. You may have some additional transportation costs if your group chooses to upgrade to a private bus when you are supposed to be on a public bus but that is usually only $5 - $10/person extra per leg depending on the size of the group. If you look at the list of optional activities you will get an idea of how much they will cost. You can also google each location to get an idea of other things you might be interested in. Your tour leader will often have ideas of other things to do that you may not be aware of - and they may be less expensive. Remember that you basically only have one full day in each place to do things. The first day is a travel day and you will arrive sometime in the afternoon. You may have time to do an activity or you may only have time to check out the location and walk around.

Even if you picked the most expensive optional activities you would have a hard time spending $1000. For example (from the "before you go" of the CRA trip - more activities are listed):
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca: $200
Dolphin Watch Sailing tour(L) $100
Manzanillo Natural Reserve hike with local guide(4hrs) $30
Surf Lesson (1hr) $50
Waterfall Tour (3 hrs) $25

Tortuguero:
Tourist centre $2
Rent kayaks ????
(there are no turtles in February and there aren't many places to spend your money)

La Fortuna/ Arenal: $260
Mambo Combo (Rafting II and III with Canyoning) $139.50 (8 hours)
Venado Cave Spelunking $55 (4 hours)
Volcano walk/viewpoint/dinner and entrance to hot springs $45 (incl. transportation)
Horse trip to waterfall $42 (4 hours)

Monteverde: $200 - you can't do everything!
Ziplining $45
Horseback riding ($25 for 1 ½ hours, $30 for 2 hours, $45 for 3 hours)
Butterfly garden $12
Trapiche Tour $30
Coffee tour $25
Frog Pond $12
Serpentarium $10
ATV $50 for a single, $75 for a double
Night Walk $22
Cheese Factory $10
Bat Jungle $10

Manuel Antonio: $300
Mangrove tour (boat) $70 (incl. Lunch)
Rafting (Rio Naranjo) $78
Dolphin watch sailing tour $75 (incl. Lunch and snorkeling)
Cycle tours $25-$55
Manuel Antonio Park $10 (entrance) plus $25 guide if wanted
Surf lessons $55 (3-4 hours)

You won't have time to do everything on the above list and it comes to about $900 and several of these activities include a meal so that will cut down on your food budget.

It's always good to have access to extra money when travelling so you don't feel cheated or feel you can't do something that you may never have another chance to do but I doubt you can spend $3000 on the trip. If its the Costa Rica Quest then it will be even less. Credit cards are accepted at all the major tourist places for activites and ATMS are available everywhere except Tortuguara and the rain forest so don't bring a lot of cash with you.

Have a great time.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: How much spending money for Costa Rica Quest?

Postby aprilchanyi162 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Thank you for the reply. And it is the CRA that I'm doing. I have a tenancy to over budget, so it is nice to know that I can cut back on my savings a little.
aprilchanyi162

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean