Costa Rica Currency

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica Currency

Postby tpaulsen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi This is my first time on a trip out of country (Canada) and I would like some advice on currency. They say in the trip advice to bring USD, but i wanted to bring Costa Rican Colons (CRC) so i could get food and items from less touristy places. Do you get a better deal if you pay in USD vs paying in CRC or vise versa? I will have USD to pay for the extra outings on the trips, but i planned on using CRC to pay for meals and other things. Any advice on this is appreciated.
Ted
tpaulsen
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica Currency

Postby Janice08 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Most tourist places accept US dollars. Some restaurants and stores even have dual currency cash registers. You will most likely get change in colones. Bank machines are readily available and most give you a choice of which currency you want so there is no need to get Costa Rican money ahead of time or carry large amounts of cash with you. Even if you arrive late in the evening, there is an ATM at the airport in the luggage claim area. You're right that most "non-touristy" places will prefer local currency. The exchange rate will vary. Often it will be 500 colones to 1 dollar regardless of what the actual exchange rate is. Don't bother with Canadian currency. It's not accepted.

Have a great trip.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean