Cuba trips - luggage

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cuba trips - luggage

Postby nataliel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi,

I'm doing two of the cuba trips in January (Central Cuba Adventure and Cuba Libre) and see that the trip notes advise that we bring a duffel bag or rucksack as luggage. I was wondering if anyone who has done either of these trips in the past could advise on whether everyone did have duffel bags/rucksacks and whether these are necessary? I've done a G adventures trip before and used a pull-along soft case, which was fine for the type of travel and activities that were involved. I'm happy to buy a rucksack but just want to check whether I definitely need one before spending the money? I'm planning on bringing a day sack for day trips either way.

Thank you!
Natalie
nataliel
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cuba trips - luggage

Postby becellent » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Natalie,

I am doing the Cuba Colonial trip starting 19 January. I haven't been to Cuba before, but I did not see in the trip notes that a certain bag was recommended (maybe I should pay more attention!) I bought myself a large backpack with a smaller bag attached from Kathmandu for the trip. I know that we may have to travel a little bit with the bags so I thought having something on my back so that my hands were free would be the best option.

Good luck!

Rebecca
becellent

Postby Janice08 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm

As long as you are able to carry your bag when you need to, a wheeled bag will be fine. When I went to Cuba I had a duffle bag and wished I had a wheeled bag (bought a wheeled backpack for the next trip) because there were times when we had long hallways in hotels and long walks at airports. That being said, you may end up in a hotel without a working elevator and need to carry your bag up a few flights of stairs or down the street to get to the bus because it couldn't pull up to the hotel door or back to your meeting place after a homestay.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby nataliel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Thank you both for the advice. I think I'm going to be able to borrow a rucksack from a friend, which will probably be the best option. If not, I'll take my soft case as I'm happy to carry it short distances/up flights of stairs etc. I was just a bit worried there may be some trekking etc. that wasn't mentioned in the itinerary where a wheeled case would be completely unsuitable!
nataliel

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 pm

I've done two of the Cuba trips. I took a 60litre rolling duffle which was fine.
A medium rolling suitcase will be fine. A backpack will also be fine - but you may have to carry it up to 500 or 1000 metres so dont go too big or too heavy.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean