Central America YOLO Tour

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Central America YOLO Tour

Postby bflynn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:15 am

Hey,

I am currently packing for the JGS Volcano Trail Tour through Central America. I was just wondering how much physical exertion there is on the YOLO style tours? I am planning on wearing hiking shoes but do I need hiking clothes? Or are normal shorts and shirts alright? And should I bring a backpack or is a case on roller wheels ok?

Leaving soon so would love an answer soon!

Thanks,

Brigid
bflynn
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Central America YOLO Tour

Postby Janice08 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 am

On YOLO tours most of the activities are optional so you choose how active your trip is. I haven't been on this trip but I've been to about half of the places you'll stop at. Bring clothes you can get wet in if you want to do the canyoneering or whitewater rafting. Sport Sandals or watershoes are good for these activities (as long as they stay on your feet - flipflops won't work). For the hiking you'll need sturdy shoes or lightweight hiking boots. Some of the rocks are sharp. Personally, I like to travel with clothes that dry fast so I can wash them in my room and let them dry overnight. That way I can get by with about 3 - 4 changes of clothing no mater how long the trip is. Remember that even though you are in the tropics it can get cool at night when you are in the mountains. Bring a fleece or sweater for evenings. As for luggage, eveyone will give you a different opinion. Wheeled bags are great for airports and hotels with long hallways. They are not that great for the cobblestone streets you find in most of central america. Whatever bag you bring you need to be able to carry it shorter distances - sometimes up to a few blocks to a bus station or to your hotel as well as lift it up to put on the top of a bus. I've often brought a softsided wheeled backpack - best of both worlds - wheels when you can use them and backpack straps for when the wheels are impracticle. The problem with that type of bag is that unless you research well they can either heavy or poor quality. There are good bags out there but they can be hard to find. No matter what main bag you bring, have along a daypack to carry the things you'll want during the day when you are out and about (camera, waterbottle, rainjacket, etc.) and so that on buses you can keep you valuables with you if your bags end up on the roof or some other unaccessible place. The day pack also makes a good carry on for your flight to central america. A good idea is to pack at one change of clothes in your carryon as well as anything you consider "essential" or valuable in case your checked bag takes a different route than you! On my last trip, I arrived Sunday afternoon and my checked bag came Monday evening by a different airline.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean