Suggestions on what to do in Havana pre/post tour.

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Suggestions on what to do in Havana pre/post tour.

Postby indi06 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:22 am

Hey.

I get into Havana around 3 pm my first day then have the rest of that day plus 2.5 days before my tour starts and 1 full day after.

Any suggestions on what I must do and see.

Going to be staying at the Nacional De Cuba. Was thinking of doing cabaret show there cause im there but still might go Tropicana because its famous. I want to try and see a baseball game. I'm considering a day trip to Vinales ? Walk around old town but what is my must go into or see there or do i just walk and enjoy.?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks
indi06
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Suggestions on what to do in Havana pre/post tour.

Postby onyx007 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:58 pm

It would be great, if you could tell us, which tour you'll take, because in some
tours you problably will have already some sightseeing included, check for it
your trip notes.

I did a trip some years ago (2008) and to the cabaret show some of from our tour group went
together (it wasn't the Tropicana, it might have been the one at Nacional) and we had a better deal (including transport), so you might wait for it till the end of the trip and your tour guide might give you advice for it.

I had also (a shorter time as you have) pre and post tour and I went to see:
- the old parliament house (the Capitol) which is very nice
- the museum of the revolution (it's in the old presidential palace)
- the big necropolis, which is one of the biggest cementeries in havana and there are some
beautiful gravemarkers, especially for the martyrs and heroes of the revolution
- check out one of the watering holes of Ernest Hemingway the Hotel „Ambos Mundos“
- and in the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales is the interesting city museum
and finally at the Plaza de la Revolution there is this iconic building with the face of Che Guevara and there is the memorial for José Marti with a tower, which you can climb to get a view over the whole city
- drive with one of the "Coco"-Cabs

I never made it outside of Havana on my own, but I heard that the beach area is easy to get to, if you like to spend a day swimming or sun bathing.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean