americans to cuba?!!

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

americans to cuba?!!

Postby debandpat123 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:32 pm

hello, have any of you gone on a G ad tour to cuba? how did it go? were any of you concerned about coming and going? any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks, deb
debandpat123
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: americans to cuba?!!

Postby coqui14 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Deb, USA citizens or residents are not allowed to go to Cuba as a vacation destination. It is considered a felony with jail and up to $15,000 in penalties. However, as a US citizen you can go to Cuba in an Educational trip, charity trip, visiting family, scientific expedition. You have to fly to Canada or Cancun first and then to Cuba. I hear many people do it, but is a high risk vacation. Remember, lying to a federal agent in inmigration is also against the law and you can end up in jail. I don't think is worth so much... Good luck.

J
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby moviegeekjn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Word of mouth indicated to me that G Adventures can take care of travel & visa connections for U.S. citizens. Am sketchy on details and certainly unclear whether G Adventures would ever actually do this without some type of educational venture established. Would appreciate details on this.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mommadoc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:38 pm

We are going over Christmas. Believe things could get more problematic politically (hope not) and this is the time to go. Going through Mexico City. Know others who have gone on their own with no problems. I trust G Adventures !
mommadoc
User Rank: Traveller

Postby debandpat123 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:35 pm

yay, me too! have you travelled with G before? we have twice, to morocco and india. those trips were the BEST!!!
debandpat123

Postby jaycw » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 am

I dont know why any american would go through all that trouble to see Cuba. Cuba's geography is no different than the surrounding islands and its archetecture is nothing amazing either. THe history is moderately interesting but you will get all this place has to offer and more going somewhere like Ecuador or somewhere else in S.A.
jaycw

Postby debandpat123 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 pm

wow, that's not exactly what i was hoping to hear! :o actually though, you are the only one i have heard say that... so go we will! peace, deb
debandpat123

Postby jaycw » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:23 am

If you have never been to a latin american country than it will be interesting for you going to Havana and whatnot and with the history between them and your country, you may find that really interesting as well. Plus, the old cars are pretty cool haha

You will have a good time regardless so don't worry, I think Cuba just left a bad taste in my mouth because I experienced very rude people when I was there and I heard all the stories of a repressed people and a communist country ravaged with trade embargos. When I went there though I saw countless cubans using iphones, decorated in big gold watches and diamonds, brand new cars and A LOT of American products, including coca-cola! lol

There definitely seems to be a low class and upper class.. not the communist working class I expected. Now I don't think the majority of people are bathing in riches or anything and there are a lot of really poor people but everyone seems pretty well fed and taken care of, nothing like what you might find in India or somewhere... maybe Castro and Che were onto something? lol jk

ps. this is just my opinion and i am not educated on cuba so take it for what it is and have a great time!
jaycw

Postby mommadoc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 am

Plus the music is AMAZING!. There definitely is something special about CUBA!
mommadoc

Postby Zuleika » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 pm

jaycw wrote:When I went there though I saw countless cubans using iphones, decorated in big gold watches and diamonds, brand new cars and A LOT of American products, including coca-cola! lol

Funny - I didnt see any of the above while I was there!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby debandpat123 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 pm

hi zuleika, would you please tell us more about your time there?!!! we would really appreciate your input. thank you, deb
debandpat123

Postby Alpine_Resort » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I've been to Cuba a few times and have always had a good time. On average, the people are kind, welcoming and trustworthy. We went through a hurricane there once. That was a fascinating experience. :o I'd go there over Mexico ANY day! There is much poverty but they do a better at looking after their citizens than a lot of democratic countries.
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean