Mexico Ancient Civilizations

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Mexico Ancient Civilizations

Postby funkyirishman » Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi

Thinking of doing this trip and looking for views on anyone who has done it and the highlights low-lights must see things to do etc..

Also thinking of doing it in either Sept or Oct but this is the rainy/hurricane season anyone ever done it in these months?

Thanks
funkyirishman
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Mexico Ancient Civilizations

Postby langdog » Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Did it back in 2010. LOVED IT!!!!! I'm a person big on history so I had to see as many Mayan ruins as I could. I don't know if your starting in Mexico or Cancun. I started in Paya da carman because I was late but make sure you check out Tulum. Also see Palenque and when your in Mexico City you HAVE to see Teotihuacán. Book extra days tho, if you tour ends in Mexico City because you don't have any real time to see the city if you go to Teotihuacán. Feel free to ask away about anything on the tour and i'll tell you as much as I can to help you. If not man enjoy the tour!!!
Graham
langdog
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby funkyirishman » Tue May 08, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for that

Reading up about the weather and there is chance it may rain for all the time or not. I get enough rain in Ireland don't want to spend a grand to go to a country for the same?

Although it does not rain in the pub would like to do the trek without getting drenched

Want to go mid October so if any Mexicans on the forum can tell me that raindrops will be small it will be a bit of comfort. Also hurricane season so trying to decide to go or not in October?
funkyirishman

Postby onyx007 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 am

I did it last year in March and I loved it.
It's right what langdog said about to spent another couple of days in Mexico City if you do it in the direction Playa - MEX; I started in Mexico City, so just some informations about my trip:

Mexico City:
Trip to Teotihuacan; this is a must do in Mexico City (if you have two days there). I took the guided tour for 420 Pesos which included also the "3 cultures square" and the Virgin of Guadeloupe.
Bring your own food and eat it while your visiting the ruins, because the tour will stop at a restaurant for Lunch, but the prices there are at least 3 times over average ! And prepare for the sun as there are not so many shady places in Teotihuacan.

Puebla
If you got time: Do the trip out to Chamula on your own. It's quite easy with public transport and it's a nice view to the vulcanos.

Oaxacca
Monte Alban is a nice and easy trip with public transport (40 Pesos round-trip)
and the daytrip out to Mitla and Hierve del Aqua is great as well; Mexcal galore tasting,
and a very narrow and rocky street through the mountains to reach a very nice petriefied waterfall.
It cost 400 Pesos, which is worth it. And the food stalls at the waterfall offer great and really cheap food.

San Cristobal:
The trip to the Mayan Villages is quite nice if you like an inside view on local cultures.

For the trip from San Cristobal to Palenque; if you have the option to make the journey in a minibus with stop at the waterfalls of Agua Azul and Misho-Na, and you just have to pay 70 Pesos more, then do it, because it's firstly two nice sights and for sure a nicer journey as travelling non-stop for 6 hours in a big bus and even have to take taxis from/to the hotel/busstation.

Merida:
The cenote trip is really great fun and for me the funniest part of the whole trip.
Horse-Carts on a railway-trek, motorbike-taxis and three big holes in the ground with a refreshing swim in a cristal clear water.

Yeah, that's about it and finally a last advise: Keep your valuables/daypacks close by and don't leave it out of your eye; in Puebla at the busstation, on of us got his daypack with passport and many of his valuables stolen and he had to go back to Mexico City and joined us in Oaxacca two days later.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby funkyirishman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Cheers thanks for the tips

Did the group do most of the tours or are you left to your own devices what to do? Going from Mexico to Carmen. Tour starts on the Sat but I land Friday evening so may try to get to see a few things in the City myself.

Whats the food and accommodation like take it that its basic I can live with that as long as its relatively clean? Going for the experience and want to see as much as I can within reason not pushing myself to hard need chill time also

If there are any other tips please post

Cheers
funkyirishman

Postby onyx007 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi funkyirishman

First of all the accomodations surprised us all as they were all far more nicer than we expected for a basic YOLO-Trip...

At some places we did our own thing an other places we went together:
- Chamula (near Puebla) we did on our own (but most of us went anyway; in two groups)
- the Cenote Trip in Merida and the Oaxacca daytrip were optional tours which we went also all together (but you could have stayed behind at both places)
- in San Cristobal there were more than one option, you could go to a canyon to do riverrafting or horse riding or as I did visit the mayan village

At the end in Carmen everybody did their own things like Tulum or Cozumel.
They same was for the beginning in Mexiko City.
onyx007

Postby funkyirishman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the tips

Getting close now and looking forward to it.

Just wondering did you land in Mexico City airport and how did you find getting downtown did you get a taxi? Also is it better to bring a mixture of Usd and Mexican Peso? Want to have enough currency and use my Atm card when I need extra money and Visa in cases of emergency or paying for trips

Thanks
funkyirishman

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean