Costa Rica Adventure Trip (CRA) Review

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Costa Rica Adventure Trip (CRA) Review

Postby jenjoe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 am

Hi, thanks so much for the detailed review, just wondering was there a mix of nationalities in the group or was it all english speakers? just wondering should i brush up on any other languages to prepare as i'm going in august :P
jenjoe
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby karen_86 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 am

On my trip there was people from Scotland, England, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Australia and Canada, and the tour was run in English. Being in Costa Rica is an ideal opportunity to practice your Spanish though. Even though your guide can help out and translate for you, its nice to know some of the basics.
karen_86
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby aprilm60 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Having never travelled with g adventures before, I have a question about the activities/tours offered on this trip. Are the activities included in the price or all extra money?
(Example: optional horseback ride, ziplining, dolphin spotting sail,waterfall rappelling, etc)
Also, is it fairly easy to keep the non-inclusive meals cheap?? I don't mind eating rice and beans or the other cheap options, just curious if on this tour your meal breaks have options like this.
thanks in advance for any info!
aprilm60

Postby sinecure » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Almost all activities will be extra, in the full description there is a guide line of how much each activity may cost. I find these prices a little on the low side so allow for a little extra. When you arrive in a city your CEO will tell you what activities are available and help arrange them.

As for meals, the CEO's may offer up options and the group may dine together or you can go off and explore on your own. On some of our best tours it's been a mix of eating together, and free time were we can explore any place we want.
sinecure

Postby aprilm60 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:52 pm

aprilm60

Postby koing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:50 pm

I went on this on the 22nd August 2012.

DEFINITELY bring a headtorch and a flashlight with you for the rain forest hike. Grab one of the walking sticks as well. The ground was fairly muddy in places.

I really enjoyed the rain forest lodge.

Meals were not cheap. There are cheaper eating options but in general Costa Rica is the most expensive place in Central America.

I booked the Adrenaline pack and I saved money in the end.
-Canyoneering/ rappelling
-White water rafting
-Zip lining

The *hot* springs were a joke. I didn't go in the end as they were basically swimming pool complexes/ spas that were heated via the hot springs. If I wanted that I could go to any spa in England.

We had a great group.

3 English guys (I went with a mate of mine)
1 Irish guy
1 German guy
1 English girl
3/4 Swiss girls
4/5 German girls

It was really funny as I extended my trip on my own and I came back Costa Rica about 9 weeks later, and I saw another G Adventures group out on their trip in Port Viejo. I said hi to a few of them.

If you guys have time at the end I'd definitely spend 3-4 days at Montezuma. My favorite place in Costa Rica. It's a bit of a trek from San Jose but it's worth it imo. About 4hr to the port, 1hr ferry crossing, another 1hr on the bust to get to Montezuma. You have great beaches and the amazing waterfall, which is a free excursion :)

Koing
koing

Postby carlosamplus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:09 am

My family is in the process of planning our third trip to Costa Rica. ... As for the first part of the trip, I was all geared up to take the kids to Arenal and I just read that it hasn't had lava flow since 2010! ... It seems to get good reviews. Maybe someplace like Shelter from the Storm? It always gets good reviews as well. If you end up going to Arenal, your kids would probably enjoy Proyecto Asis. We were able to feed monkeys, a sloth, macaws, and other animals there, and ...
carlosamplus

Previous

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean