Costa Rica Adventure Trip (CRA) Review

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Costa Rica Adventure Trip (CRA) Review

Postby barbaral » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 am

trekkert wrote:Planning on going in a couple of weeks and am unsure as to take USD or CR Colons anybody know which is best to take?

You'll want to have colons but apparently the exchange rate is better there - you can get them from an ATM really easily though. Also people will often take USD, but will give you change in colons. I went to a bank my first day and exchanged my money - waited on line for quite a while - not realizing I could have just gone to the ATM ! After that, I just went to the ATM.

It's good to have colons for the small roadside places (we stopped at quite a few for CRQ), the public bus, etc.
barbaral
User Rank: Traveller

Postby microfragle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi trekkert,

I agree with barbaral, use the ATM's in Costa RIca, they are readily available and a lot less hassle than exchanging money. Plus from a security point of view, you only then need to carry the cash you need for the next few days. Virtually everything was priced and paid for in Colones, supermarkets, restaurants, bars etc although I guess the more touristy places would have accepted dollars. Much easier to use Colones.

The only place I recall that didn't have ATM's was Tortuguero and of course Rara Avis.

One thing I did notice the exchange rate is much better once you're there.

You might want to take say $50 just to get by, incase the ATM's in the airport arrivals hall aren't working plus don't forget the $26 you need for the departure tax (must be paid on dollars).

Regards

Microfragle
microfragle
User Rank: Weekender

Postby catharinehay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 pm

We are going on this trip in about a week. Do we need a pack to carry our stuff, or is regular luggage (duffle bag or wheel suitcase) ok?
catharinehay
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby microfragle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi Catharinehay

If you can i would avoid taking a wheeled suitcase and use a backpack if you can.

You won't have to carry your bag any distance, mainly loading and unloading from your transport but when you do have to carry it's usually over rough surfaces so wheels are useless anyway and then carrying a suitcase with one handle is pretty difficult.

Also remember to take a smaller day pack for when you go to Rara Avis as you leave your normal bag behind in a secure lock up.

One other thing you might want to consider is taking a waterproof cover for you bag

Enjoy your trip
Microfragle
microfragle

Postby barbaral » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:14 pm

microfragle wrote:Hi Catharinehay

One other thing you might want to consider is taking a waterproof cover for you bag

Enjoy your trip
Microfragle

Oh yes! The one thing I didn't bring. My rolling duffel was fine in the trip across Lake Arenal...but I was in the back of the boat and got absolutely rained on - keeping my daypack dry was a challenge! I had my rain jacket on but couldn't shove my daypack under it, only my camera. So definitely - cover for the bag and the daypack! :mrgreen:
barbaral

Postby catharinehay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! We're leaving in two days and really looking forward to it!
catharinehay

Postby samtheman1k » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 am

Hi,

thank you for your very good review. Can I just ask about Malaria? Did you take tablets? Was the consensus that you should or there is no need? Was everyone else taking them?

Thanks!
samtheman1k

Postby microfragle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Samtheman1k

Before I went, I was confused about Malaria in Costa Rica from the conflicting information and advice available .

I decided not to take Malaria tablets and I would say it was about a 50 – 50 split on the trip between those that did and those that didn’t

Once there the information from the tour leader and other locals was that malaria was virtually unheard of and tablets were not necessary. If I remember correctly the tour leader stated only a handful of cases occur a year at most, not where the tour goes and it is perfectly safe.

In my opinion and from what I know now, the decision not to take malaria tablets was the right one as the risk from malaria is negligible. However, negligible is not impossible no matter how small the risk is, if you feel you don’t want to take the risk, then take them. At the end of the day the decision is yours.

One of the best deterrents is a good repellent.

Hoped that helped anything else let me know
MicroFragle
microfragle

Postby chelliflo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi, Wondered if I could tap into your first hand knowledge. Am off on this trip in just under 2 weeks (super excited!) and the kit list says you need a windproof waterproof jacket. Do you think this is necessary? We have rain ponchos but were wondering why a windproof / waterproof jacket was suggested as well. Thanks.
chelliflo

Postby microfragle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:56 am

Hi chelliflo

Just make sure you take something that keeps you dry

Microfragle
microfragle

Postby skatie77 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:17 am

I have a phobia of snakes but I really want to do this trip. Is this a definite no no do you think or can I get away with looking the other way as it were?

skatie77

Postby microfragle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi skatie77

Oh the snake thing. Like you I’m not that keen on snakes. One of the highlights of going on this trip is the wildlife so I wouldn’t let it put you off going.

Can’t promise that you won’t see any especially at Rara Avis (now called Sarapiquí Rainforest by the looks of it) but usually you will be with a guide and you can get as close or as far away as you want from them.

I must admit the ones we saw, if I remember correctly were at Puerto Viejo (on a nature walk) and Rara Avis, I found fascinating and stunningly colourful and that’s from someone who doesn’t really like them. You can minimise your chances by not exploring in the places they may be but you would then be missing out on the other wildlife. One idea is to tell your tour leader beforehand and they will help you out.

Hope that helps
Microfragle
microfragle

Postby skatie77 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:16 am

microfragle wrote:Hi skatie77

Oh the snake thing. Like you I’m not that keen on snakes. One of the highlights of going on this trip is the wildlife so I wouldn’t let it put you off going.

Can’t promise that you won’t see any especially at Rara Avis (now called Sarapiquí Rainforest by the looks of it) but usually you will be with a guide and you can get as close or as far away as you want from them.

I must admit the ones we saw, if I remember correctly were at Puerto Viejo (on a nature walk) and Rara Avis, I found fascinating and stunningly colourful and that’s from someone who doesn’t really like them. You can minimise your chances by not exploring in the places they may be but you would then be missing out on the other wildlife. One idea is to tell your tour leader beforehand and they will help you out.

Hope that helps
Microfragle

Thank you for the advice. Good idea to have a chat with the guide upfront - I don't want to miss out on other things :-)
skatie77

Postby wakeywakey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 am

Hi guys

Was just thinking about going on this trip and noticed that Rara Avis looks like its been replaced by Sarapiquí Rainforest, is this the same place or somewhere new, just wondering if any knew and whats it like?

thx
wakeywakey

Postby karen_86 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 am

Hi,

I just got back from the CRA trip last week and I stayed in the Sarapiqui Rainforest. It is different from Rara Avis. From Tortuguero it is approx an hour on a boat, a couple of hours in a van and then about 90 mins on a tractor. I heard that the tractor ride to Rara Avis was pretty extreme but this one isn't too bad. Just be careful if you sit in the front of the trailer because you can get mud on you from the wheels.

The lodge itself is basic, and only has electricity between 5 and 10pm. On the first night you have the option of going for a night walk with a naturalist guide who will point out spiders, bullet ants, sloths etc. The next morning there is an option of a bird-watching hike at 6.30am. Again the guide takes you out. In the afternoon there is the option of going to a local swimming hole (about 30 mins hike).

With my group we found that people either loved Sarapiqui or hated it. Compared to the rest of the trip it is a quiet couple of days but gives you a chance to relax before moving on to busier places.
karen_86

PreviousNext

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean