Costa Rica Adventure Tour

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica Adventure Tour

Postby spot7 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:03 pm

First trip with gap adventures looking to find out about some of the different tours and recommendations for this trip. My GF and I are doing the 16 day Costa Rica adventure and it seems there are alot of different activities and wanting to know which ones are worth the extra dollars?
spot7
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica Adventure Tour

Postby Isabelle73 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Hello,

I did this tour in March and I have really enjoyed doing canyoning in La fortuna and zip lining in Monteverde - definitely worth the money!! On the other hand, one thing I felt was not worth it was the hanging bridges in Monteverde - really boring!

Hope this helps!
Isabelle73
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby harveym » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

We are on our last day of the tour, which has been great.

Our best activity was the White Water rafting, which we did whilst staying at La Fortuna. This was three hours on the Sarapiqui river with lunch provided. The grade 3/4 river was quite challenging and very enjoyable. The staff of the Desafio Adventure company were very professional.

The zip lining at Monte Verde was an experience and a little bit rushed.
harveym

Postby redtraveller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Hello,
I did this tour last December and it was really fun.
Major highlights
1. Manzanillo National Park, Puerto Viejo (don't miss it rain or shine!) Sloth sanctuary was also cool.
2. Rara Avis (it may seem like a long tractor drive up there, but its such a unique experience when you get there) there are showers up there with hot water, no matter what anyone else says! Don't worry about the spiders. I have a paralyzing fear of spiders and even I made it.
3. La Fortuna - whitewater rafting!! do it! I agree with the last comment that the desafio staff is amazing. by far the best activity. I did level four and i had never gone rafting before. Everyone fell out of the boat but me :) I also did canyoneering, volcano hike, and other activities but the rafting was THE best. Don't miss the Baldi hot springs. Although they do have natural hot spring for free, the area is sketchy...splurge for Baldi!
4. Zip lining in Montverde. fun experience. hanging bridges are in fact less exciting but i would still recommend doing it. we saw howler monkeys up close and birds and such. Coffee tour in Montverde was also cool.
5. Catamaran in Manuel Antonio. I highly recommend this activity. It might be pricey but worth it. we saw tones of dolphins and snorkeled. plus the sunset on the boat was amazing. Obviously Manuel Antonio Park is must. You WILL see monkeys there no doubt. Hang on to your food and cameras because they will take them from you.

Things that were fun but not too exciting:
Tortuguero-morning hike
horseback riding in Montverde-its included in your trip but not a major highlight

Food - the most amazing meals were on the Caribbean side! Get ready for some rice and beans. when on the Caribbean side, order fish as often as possible. that's the specialty
In La Fortuna splurge on more pricey restaurants...its worth it for a great meal
The tree house cafe in Monterverse-dont expect good food, but they do have a good ambiance
redtraveller
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby m.a » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:08 am

Hi redtraveller
Can you tell me what the weather was like when you did this trip in December? I am going this year.
Thanks!
m.a

Postby bella.sky » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:29 pm

HI all,

I will attend this tour by beginning of January and as it will be my first trip completely on my own I'd like to know the average age of your tour mates? Was it mainly a group of elderly persons or mid-twenties?

Im also doubting how I should handle the luggage part. For sure Id use a bigger backpack but when traveling every second day to a different location per boat aso..or doing daily hiking tours I'm wondering if it would make sense to bring a second smaller backpack. Whats your experience here?
Anything I need to pack and should definitively NOT forget?

How much additional money did you spend on food on the trip?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Best
bella.sky

Postby coqui14 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi m.a, is almost imposible to predict the weather... but normally the rainy seasson will finish by the end of November and December is in general blue skies and a little colder than normal.. (14-16C at night in the city). The Pacific cost will be dry and sunny...you may encounter some showers in the Atlantic area.

Bella.sky a small daypack is always a good idea to carry your water and snacks..rain gear. Costa Rica and be as expensive as USA in some areas. Think about that when you are calculating the amount of money you want to bring. ATM's are available.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby bella.sky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 am

One more question that came to my mind:

when you guys did the additional activities did you have to pay them cash all time or is there also a possibility to pay by debit card sometimes? Im just wondering how much cash I should change at the airport already to make sure I will have enough with me for the extra activities.
However, Im not feeling comfortable having a bunch of cash with me all time...

THANKS!
bella.sky

Postby Janice08 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 am

ATM's are all over the place in Costa Rica - except Tortuguera and Rari Avis but you don't have many places to spend money there anyways. Credit cards are readily accepted as well for most of the activities and at most "tourist" restaraunts. US dollars are also accepted at most places - you will get your change back in colones so you don't need to change a lot of money at the airport (if you are bringing US cash), some of the ATMs give out US cash as well. Costa Rica, like a lot of Central American countries is almost a dual currency country.

To try to figure out your budget, look at the "before you go" section of the trip information. A lot of the optional activities are listed with prices. The prices may be a bit higher than listed. You can also google the places you will go to to see other activities that might interest you. I wouldn't sign up for anything before you get to Costa Rica. Your CEO may know of other activities that you want to do that you weren't aware of. As someone else mentioned, if you eat in restaurants catering to tourists you may spend as much as you would in the US. Imported food in the grocery store can be expensive as well.

The weather can be almost anything. I've been to Costa Rica twice. Once in early December when it rained almost every day and once in August (the middle of the rainy season) and we only had one afternoon of heavy rain, plus a bit on our travel days.

Every tour is different when it comes to ages. I've been on tours with an age spread of 17 - 62. On my last trip, all but three of us were in the 25 - 35 age range, the rest of us were over 45. Age doesn't make much of a difference, its about the attitude of having fun and a sense of adventure.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean