Altitude Sickness - Mexico City

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Altitude Sickness - Mexico City

Postby kristasis1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:31 am

Hi everyone, I just have a question regarding altitude sickness in Mexico City... I'm heading off on the Mexico and Central America tour in December.

I'm wondering about altitude sickness in Mexico City? I've read that you can get altitude sickness in Mexico City as it is approx 2300metres above sea level. What is this like and what do you do about it? Do people who travel to Mexico City usually always get altitude sickness?

Thanks!
Krista.
kristasis1
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Altitude Sickness - Mexico City

Postby coqui14 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 am

Hello, altitude sickness is very personal. Some people get it, some people does not. Also, if you get it once, does not mean you will always get it or viceversa... My mother gets altitude sickness in Mexico City and is usually a day or two of rest and drink plenty of liquids. After that her body adjust and she is fine. Hope this will help...

J
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Altitude Sickness - Mexico City

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:27 pm

The difference between the altitude of Mexico City and the altitude where you live is key. If you live in the mountains, you will have less trouble than someone living lower down. Even so, some people who live at sea level have little trouble adjusting quickly. As coqui14 said, don't let yourself get dehydrated and take it slow at first to give your body time to adjust.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean