Malaria pills in Mexico?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Malaria pills in Mexico?

Postby blues_traveler » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm sure similar questions have been asked many times here, but I plan on going on the Yucatan Panorama tour; we spend a couple days in Palenque, which is in a "variable risk" area for malaria. Just wanted to know your thoughts...or whether anyone has been on this particular tour in the past and can give me more insight. Thanks!!
blues_traveler
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Malaria pills in Mexico?

Postby sinecure » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 pm

It all depends on your plans, from what I have read the strain in the Yucatan can be easily be treated with drugs if caught soon enough. HOWEVER, I always recommend you check with a travel health professional for up to date, informed information and prevention strategies.
sinecure

Postby eric » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:03 am

Yes, well, but...

I'm not an expert, but that seems to depend on identifing you have malaria, and it needs quick treatment.

Good old (new?) Google says what I thought:

Malaria causes a flu-like illness and these would include. fever; rigors; headaches; sweating ...

So I guess I & most people would assume 'flu, hangover (who? US??), etc, etc before realising
it could be malaria, and quick treatment was needed a couple of days ago, and now we are on
a 6 or 7 hour transfer to...

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby sinecure » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:23 am

that's why I meet with my travel health expert and we develop a plan of what will happen, what to be on the look for, when to see attention and what to tell them when I do.
sinecure

Postby Zuleika » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 pm

I didnt bother - nor did anyone else on my tour. We went Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.
Its up to you though at the end of the day.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby coqui14 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:56 pm

I agree with Zuleika. The last time I was in the southen part of Mexico I took chloroquine for malaria. I end up with huge headaches and did not get one bite by mosquitoes. When the risk is low, is recommended to use long sleeve shirts and use plenty of mosquito repelent. For couple of days of risk, not sure if is worth the trouble. Of course the advise is to consult your travel doctor and do what is more confortable for you.

Enjoy the trip
coqui14

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean