Transportation

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Transportation

Postby yfstafford » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm

I recently signed up for a Mayan Sun trip (Mexico-Belize-Guatemala) and was wondering what sort of transportation to expect. The trip details mention public bus and van (I expect at least one "chicken bus" at some point) - are the 6+ hour legs between stops by bus or van? Thanks.
yfstafford
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Transportation

Postby Zuleika » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 pm

I did Mayan adventure which is the extended version of Mayan sun.
We travelled quite a lot by public bus - this is very comfortable in Mexico with reclining seats and plenty of room - the aircon is fierce however so take some warm clothing if you dont want to get hypothermia by the end of the trip.
In Guatemala we used the chicken buses which are a great experience - I really enjoyed it - lots of load reggae music and locals going about their business - however - be VERY careful of your belongs - whatever you do dont put anything on the rack above your head, its best to hold your daypack on your lap so you can see it at all times - even by your feet may not be so good. Dont flash your valuables either.
On one of our journeys we decided as a group to hire our own minivan rather than the chicken bus - this was at the recommendation of our leader and made the travel time for that day much quicker and we were allowed our own rest stops etc - we had to pay extra for this and obviously the whole group had to agree to it - which we did - and it worked for us.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby yfstafford » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks a lot. This was exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

On a somewhat related note, a question about securing bags. I've never really done any traveling of this sort before (usually just fly one, maybe two places without having to move bags a lot). I know that Gap advises bringing a duffel/backpack plus a daypack. I usually travel with a "maximum legal carryon" wheeled suitcase (~40 L) and a small backpack for my DSLR (~20 L). I don't really have any concerns about carrying them but would it be safe to have two bags while riding buses, etc.? I could easily hold my backpack but not sure about the bigger bag.
yfstafford

Postby georginal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Everyone on your trip will be pretty much in the same boat on this one. I'd have thought you would all have a main case/backpack and a carry-on daysac. make sure your daysack its somehow attached to you at all times, preferably around the front of your body.

Just don't put anything valuable in the main case thats all. Although I 've not travelled this way in this area, in other places I have always made sure I 've had one hand (or foot - or someone in the group has) on my main bag, not necessarily lifting it. Also have your wits about you every time the bus stops. I have also sat on my main bag instead of a seat before now. Locals will know you're a tourist anyway - enjoy the moment!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby yfstafford » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Space-wise, I was thinking that without using a rack, it'd be difficult to fit both a larger bag and a daysack together at my seat (or should I expect to always be standing?). My daysack has bands so that it can be attached to the handle of a rolling bag, hence my plan to use both, if I can fit them securely with me.
yfstafford

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean