Donations in Cuba?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Donations in Cuba?

Postby CRAWF » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 am

I am travelling to Cuba (CCCA) shortly and with my airline, will be allowed a second checked bag for free. I would like to bring donations such as school supplies, used sports equipments, soaps etc. Is there anywhere in Old Havana to drop off a donation that will be used appropriately?
CRAWF
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Donations in Cuba?

Postby sinecure » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Please use caution when taking supplies into Cuba now. There was a Toronto group that was sending supplies with Tourists but have been forced to shut down due to Cuban government pressure and the people who were taking in the supplies were getting interrogated.

Our decision came after some Cuban officials reinterpreted the import regulation under which we were operating. At that point many of our travellers began to be interrogated at length and had their NJTT suitcases confiscated at Cuban Customs.
sinecure

Re: Donations in Cuba?

Postby CRAWF » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Yes, I did read about the Not Just Tourists (NJT) but they were taking over up to 10 kg of MEDICAL supplies per person. I was looking at school or church donations.....
CRAWF

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean