Buying Coffee Beans in Costa Rica?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Buying Coffee Beans in Costa Rica?

Postby sonia_ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi there,

My family is excited about the coffee selection in Costa Rica and would like me to bring back some beans. I'm just wondering if anyone who has been there has purchased coffee. I'm not even sure if we are allowed to bring back coffee beans since they are a food item? Anyways, please let me know if we are allowed to purchase coffee beans, where I can buy them and approximately how much they cost. Thanks so much. :D

Sonia
To change the world, simply perform one act of random kindness at a time.
sonia_
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Buying Coffee Beans in Costa Rica?

Postby sinecure » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Packaged beans should not be a problem, however if you were to bring back a large sac you may run into problems. You may also run into trouble if you bring green beans back.
sinecure

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Coffee beans will be MUCH cheaper than you buy at home. Here in Ecuador, which is probably a bit cheaper than Costa Rica, I´m paying $2.50 US for dark roasted beans. (Sooooo good!). I took 16 pounds to Mexico once and was questioned at the airport in Ecuador wondering why I was taking so much coffee with me. (Apparently, it has been used as drug smuggling medium.) I just told them the truth -- that the coffee was for personal use and gifts -- and there was no problem.

I have heard of people taking suitcase loads of green beans from Mexico into the US without problem, but I don´t know the rules for Canada. If you´re just looking to take souvenir bags of coffee to people, I don´t think you´re going to have any problem. Green beans are nice though -- they last a couple of years and it´s fun to roast your own.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby graybeard » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:43 pm

The coffee in Tico-land was great. Never had a bad cup anywhere. If in your tour you get to a coffee plantation, buy the whole, roasted beans there. About the same price as at the grocery, but better beans. And, hence, better coffee. Avoid buying the packaged coffee at the stores in the airport departure area. Overpriced :shock:
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby sonia_ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks for the advice everyone :mrgreen:
To change the world, simply perform one act of random kindness at a time.
sonia_

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean