Yolo - Hotels or youth hostels?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Yolo - Hotels or youth hostels?

Postby helsbels001 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm looking at going on the Mexico, Belize, Guatemala Yolo trip but read in a couple of reviews that some of the hotels were actually hostels. The reviews were a couple of years old though. Has anyone doene this trip recently and can tell me what the accomodation is like? I'm obviously happy to share a room and the main thing for me is cleanliness but I'm really not a fan of hostels. Thanks
helsbels001
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Yolo - Hotels or youth hostels?

Postby katb » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:06 pm

If it's the Central American journey-type trip then it is hotels rather than hostels. They ranged from a Radisson in Cancun as the joining hotel to 'rustic' eco lodges in Belize and Guatemala and basic hotels the rest of the time. Mostly clean butdefinitely don't expect western hotel standards on a basic YOLO trip! I did that part of the trip about a month ago so can't imagine it's changed too much since then.

Kat
katb
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby helsbels001 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:56 pm

That's great thanks. Definitely wasn't expecting western hotels but just didn't fancy a hostel trip.
Thanks again.
helsbels001

Postby counterfugue » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 am

I just did a Basic tour through Central America.

No hostels. But, the hotels are all very simple, spartan, a little dirty, a little buggy, and generally without hot water. (I'm not complaining -- it is exactly what I expected.)
All local places -- no corporate locations.
counterfugue
User Rank: Weekender

Postby georgiecan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 pm

Buggy, like bugs in the bed? Dirty, like dirty bathroom???

I'm slightly nervous now...
georgiecan

Postby counterfugue » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Nothing that should make you nervous.

We had a range of people: experienced backpackers to teenaged girls who squealed when they saw a bug.

No one was put off by the conditions.

There was an occasional roach (big!), spider, centipede in the rooms. Once or twice, rooms were infiltrated with mosquitoes. The bathrooms didn't have sewage or anything like that. Dirty, like grime on the floors and sinks -- toilets that might not always flush well.

You won't be at the Marriott, if that's what you were expecting. But, like I said, no one was put off by it.
counterfugue

Postby georgiecan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks Counterfugue.

What trip did you do? We're heading out on Volcano Trail in a few weeks and just booked Tuesday night!!

I would say I'm a somewhat experienced traveller, but have never done a tour like this one before.
I can handle simple rooms, but was definitely hoping for clean! The occasional bug is fine, happens at my house, can't really expect different in Central America. Just glad they weren't in the beds!! (that huge roach wasn't was it??)

Anyways, I'm sure it will be fine!

Thanks Again!
georgiecan

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:28 pm

First trip as a married couple years ago we had a huge roach in our room at a hotel in Florida, heard scratching noises from the bathroom that awakened us in the middle of the night. It was a four star hotel! Finally localised it to the leg of the sink in the bathroom. Took the leg off, shook it into the bathtub and a 5 centimetre roach fell out. Eek! Since that trip we have always zipped our luggage tight after use. And yes, bugs happen at home but here in Canada the extreme cold usually keeps our bugs to a non-horror-movie size. I'm totally freaked out by what warm weather can do to creepie-crawlies :shock: Makes me positively ENJOY my -40'C weather :wink:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby georgiecan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Just got back from the volcano trail about a week ago, and I'd have to agree about the hotels. They were simple, and satisfactory, and some were even quite nice. One, in Granada, was kind of terrible, and we ended up moving (upgrading is always an option on the tour, and you get credit for the cost of the room you would have stayed in, which is a nice feature). We had a few cockroaches and mosquitoes, but no bed bugs as far as we saw, and I kept my eyes open! I'd say a little more than half had cold water showers. All in all it was a great trip, and I'd recommend a YOLO to anyone!
georgiecan

Postby cala » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:02 pm

I see hotels and hostels as a place to close my eyes and sleep for the night. I never expect much and don't mind a bug or two or dirty conditions. The only thing that's a little annoying is biting insects but I've rarely experienced that in any place while sleeping. If there are biting bugs, I just cover up.
I'd rather be traveling. Cala, Travel Insurance Advisor
cala

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean