costa rica and rain

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

costa rica and rain

Postby princevince » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 am

i have decided to go to costa rica in the middle of august

i understand that costa rica has a rainy season that stretches from april or may through to november or even december in some areas

and that it`s pretty unpredictable down there when it comes to rain what with it being a tropical country and all

so i was just wondering, has anybody done costa rica around august and what it was like

and i was also wondering that if it does rain, can we still do activities like hiking or white water rafting and zip lining while in the rain

thanks
princevince
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: costa rica and rain

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Rain in Costa Rica has been discussed a lot here. Here´s a response from thecakeisalie that you may find helpful: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=9470&p=39857

If you use the search function, you can find lots of other posts on this topic. I gather that the rain doesn´t stop people from having fun!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby katb » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm on CR at the moment and yes, it is raining! Actually there's thunder and lightening too and it's pretty impressive. Over the past few days I have done rafting, canyoneering and zip lining, mainly in the rain, so I guess unless it gets to a stage where it's dangerous there is no problem. You get completely soaked doing canyoneering and rafting anyway!

Kat
katb
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby counterfugue » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:42 am

Yeah -- CR rains a lot now.

Get up early and enjoy the sunny first half of the day, and plan your activities around a rainy afternoon.

I wished I'd brought a) a better rain coat, b) a small umbrella, c) a rain cover for my day pack.

Bought the umbrella eventually, but my day pack was always exposed and after a while, I had to huddle with it to keep it dry. Next time, I find a good cover for it, because you will be doing some hikes in the rain.
counterfugue
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean