Mayan Adventure - do I need visas?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Mayan Adventure - do I need visas?

Postby evepowell » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey there.
I am a Brit heading off on this tour at the end of July, I have checked the embassy websites for each country I am visiting (Mexico, Guatamala and Belize) and it says I do not need a visa if I am staying for less than 180 days. I just wanted to double check that I dont need to do anything - send my passport off anywhere, get stamped or anything else? Is there something that I might have missed or need to take with me (documents wise)
Thank you,
evepowell
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Mayan Adventure - do I need visas?

Postby Zuleika » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi Eve - I did this trip a couple of years ago - its a great trip and I thoroughly had a good time.
Im a Brit too and can confirm that you dont need a visa for any of the 3 countries - you get a stamp on arrival.

I always use the British foreign office website to confirm entry requirements:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... y-country/

(just ignore all the dire warnings which are overkill but have to be put on any Govt website nevertheless)
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby TravelFun » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi there,

The best place is to check the FCO site: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/

Here's a summary:

Mexico:
If you are visiting Mexico as a tourist you do not need a visa. You do need a tourist card which can be obtained by completing an immigration form available at border crossings or onboard flights to Mexico. Alternatively they can be obtained from Mexican Consulates prior to travel.

Guatemala:
Visas are not required by British citizens to enter Guatemala and can visit freely for up to 90 days. If your stay in Guatemala is longer than 90 days you should go to the General Directorate of Migration in Guatemala to apply for an extension to the 90-day rule. If you would like to clarify any other information on entry requirements you should contact the Guatemalan Embassy in London.

Belize:
British nationals can visit Belize for up to 30 days without needing a visa. Ensure that your passport is stamped on entry as the lack of proof of entry can result in either a fine and/or imprisonment. Visitors can obtain an extension to their visas for 30 days at any Immigration office countrywide. The fee is BZD$60 for each extension.

Passport validity for all:
Your passport should have at least six months’ validity before travelling.

It seems you should be fine and have a fun time.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby evepowell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 pm

thank you for your help, getting very excited.
:D
evepowell

Postby eric » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 am

Hi Eve,

I did this at tour at Christmas.

One thing that took some of our group by surprise was that we had to pay a small fee each time we crossed a border.

Mexico, exit fee is included with the air ticket, however that gets "used" when you go from Mexico to Guatamala.
Back in Mexico the advice was, go to a bank & pay the exit fee there. I did that, it went ok.
The advice was that if not done you would have to go to a special place at the airport, perhaps a different terminal, to do that.
However, I checked into Continental along with a fellow (Canadian) GAP traveller. She hadn't paid her exit fee in advance - Continental took her plastic card & sorted it there & then.
(If not it would have been a race over to the other terminal & back...)

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:52 pm

I remember paying small fees as we crossed borders, but I have no recollection of paying or not when I flew out of Cancun - its quite possible it was included in my flight cost and equally possible i had to pay agian. Which ever way, the fact I cant remember indicates it was no trouble and I definitely didnt have to go to a bank to pay anything.
If the rules have changed it would be my best advise to always have a reasonable US$ cash reserve on you to pay for such emergencies - a lot of these sorts of places dont take anything else.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean