Cuba and a pre-paid account

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cuba and a pre-paid account

Postby cdahl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:33 pm

My husband and I are traveling to Cuba at the end of May. Has anyone had any experience with Caribbean transfers and setting up a pre paid account card?
cdahl
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cuba and a pre-paid account

Postby Zuleika » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm afraid I cant answer about your pre paid card, but my friend who just returned from a month in Cuba reports that many of the bank machines don't work - Some were out of money, some only take Cuban cards and not foreign, some only take foriegn cards during banking hours because the long distance connection is off outside banking hours. etc etc etc. Its somewhat of a lottery.
The other thing you have to take care with, is that your card has no connection with the US, so make sure it isnt cleared though a US banking company - this can catch you out with credit cards as a lot of credit cards have American parent companies or are subsidiariaries. Cards like maestro also dont work.

My friend says take cash!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby cdahl » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for your time in responding to my question, it is very much appreciated.
cdahl

Postby djtekslave » Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 am

I say take cash too. Outside of Havana and Varadero it is very true that bank machines are a gamble.

I found Cuba to be a pretty safe place, so I wouldn't worry about taking cash as long as you take the usual precautions (money belt, don't carry all your cash at the same time, use hotel safes etc...).
djtekslave
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean