CRA trip

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

CRA trip

Postby kar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

We're going on the CRA trip in June and I'm looking into what to do in Puerto Viejo. Would like to do both snorkling and a river raft trip. Do we get into town early enought to snorkle in the afternoon and do a rafting trip the next day? Should we river raft PV or wait til we get to La Fortuna? Which river offers more thrills and scenery?
Also which place has the best zip lines? I heard/read the one in Monteverde is the best.
Thanks,
Karen
kar
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: CRA trip

Postby eric » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi Karen,

I was on CRA a few years ago Mid December. On arrival at Puerto Viejo I went for a walk on the beach. 1st photo has the camera time 3.30pm. I've got a near sunset at 5pm.

Can't answer on rafting. Our group went on the Monteverde ZIP.

Well thats a start.

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby djtekslave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi,

In Puerto-Viejo I enjoyed the beach (both the black and white sand ones).

You can easily rent bikes and follow the beach until your own secluded spot.

In terms of rafting our group chose to take that option departing from Puerto Viejo, to La Fortuna. Ask your tour leader about it. The good thing of doing that is that it cuts the drive time (9 hours if you take the local buses), and you get to raft the world famous Pacuare river. We did this trip with the company Exploradores Outdoors and they were very professional and nice.

A great restaurant in Puerto Viejo is El Chile Rojo... probably my best tuna steak ever.

PF
djtekslave
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby voodsy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Hola, I did the CRA trip in March this year. Although we did not do the rafting trip at PV, we got around PV at about 15:30pm and went for a walk down the beach. You have to try the tuna at PV, very nice.

I also did the Pacuare river rafting departing from San Jose (separate trip to CRA) and the Rio Balsa when I got to La Fortuna. Obviously can't comment on the rafting at PV, but the La Fortuna one was awesome for scenery and thrills as well as the Pacuare. The type of rafting really depends on the weather for the morning (ie. how much rain).

For ziplining, go to Monteverde...it is THE place for ziplining. The company is called Extremo canopy tours and pay extra for the superman at the end, well worth it.

I throughly enjoyed Costa Rica and wish I was still there, you will have a blast!!
voodsy

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean