The best of costa rica tour -advise pls

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

The best of costa rica tour -advise pls

Postby alexharvey83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 am

Hi,

Has anyone been on this tour and can provide any tips about things to take, the type of transfers that are used and the hotel standards. I am going at the beginning on May and unsure what I need to pack for it, in particular what type of shoes I will require.

Also the itinerary states that there will be a 3 hr transfer by boat from Puerto Limon to Tortugero, I didn't notice that it started in Puerto Limon previously and am now a bit worried about malaria. I have had all the standard vacinations advised by my doctor but have not got Malaria tablets and am unsure if I need them. Can anybody advise if they took them to cover them on this part of the trip? Also what is the best thing to wear for the boat transfer?

Any help would be great, thanks

Alex
alexharvey83
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: The best of costa rica tour -advise pls

Postby eric » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Alex

1) For Malaria - Look at my bit in the recent posting
YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION FOR BRAZIL in the South America Listings
Then, as ever, take a view.

2) I did trip CRA a few years back - similar ground.
Generally quick dry clothes - shirts etc generally recomended. Cotton things difficult to dry.
Guess things will get damp at least, if not rained on.

Expect you will walk on paths which could be a bit wet & muddy. Training shoes etc will do, but
expect to get wet feet from time to time.

We did 2 boat transfers, Puerto Limon to Tortugero it was sun sun sun, then next day
Tortugero on to ???? it chucked it down with rain, there was an awning on the boat
which was good enough to keep the worst off us.

As well as CAMERA, have waterproof top, sunglasses & sunscreen to hand in your day bag, that should keep wind, rain etc off as when required.

Expect to have to carry ALL your gear a few hundred yards / meters from time to time in the transfers.

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: The best of costa rica tour -advise pls

Postby alexharvey83 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks for the help Eric
alexharvey83

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean