Detailed Costa Rican Quest Review

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Detailed Costa Rican Quest Review

Postby sarie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 am

Costa Rica Quest Review
I’m going to try and write a really comprehensive review. I read one on the forum before which was helpful, but I’m going to go into more detail because I think that information would have been so helpful to me before I signed up for anything, and also because I just finished my tour and am still really excited. I’ve divided this into general notes , town and activity info, and hotel accommodations. It’s a lot to write and go over, so please forgive any typos.

GENERAL NOTES
Costa Rica is gorgeous, and the people are incredibly nice and friendly. American dollars are accepted basically everywhere. I paid for my meals and souvenirs in cash, and credit card for the more expensive things. I felt relatively safe. I brought a money belt, but I used it maybe once. I had a carry-all bag that had tons of pockets, good for carrying a small jacket, a book, poncho, a water bottle, a section for papers, etc. that was light enough that I took it with me everywhere. I had a cheap wallet that I kept on me with about $30 dollars in it, and put most of my money in my real wallet that I left in a security box at the hotels (where I also kept by passport). I brought a couple of jackets and one sweater, and only used the one that was rain and water resistant. I went during the dry season, though. I found that my teva water sandals, flip-flops, and shower shoes pretty much could handle all the footwear I needed. You may want to bring a travel towel for the beach, but you could also buy one there for $10. The gap planning is not so good, in that you travel to your cities in the morning and so eat up a good chunk of your time your first day in the new city. Sometimes you may choose to do things you normally wouldn’t do (spending more money), but do because you’ll be bored in town b/c of your late arrival time. It would have been much better to travel at night, arrive late, and have the whole next day available, but oh well. Our group generally had breakfast and brunch together. A main Costa Rican food is gallo pinto (beans and rice) and it will be on the menu most anywhere you go. I tried to keep track of the food money I spent, but stopped halfway through. I think the ballpark of $300 was about right—maybe I spent less. Some meals were included with your activities. I found most meals to cost between $6 and $8 dollars, with more expensive ones being around $10. One American dollar is about 500 colones. The hotels generally progressed from best to worst. Most activity companies pick you up from your hotel and drop you back there when you’re done. Spanish is definitely helpful (for ex: while speaking to drivers, at the supermarket, asking for directions, occasional items like towels) so if you know it but haven’t studied it in a while, it may be helpful to take a small dictionary with you. Most of the people you encounter will speak English, so you don’t need to go out learning it if you’ve never studied it. I found travel insurance for much cheaper than what Gap was offering. Bring bug spray.

TOUR GROUP
Our group was really great. We had about 15 people, with three countries represented. It was made of up couples, families, and a few singles. I was one of two minorities. The ages ranged from young to grandpa-like age. The group was a great mix. I was a solo traveler and was well matched with my roommate. There were usually a few people up for doing a specific activity, so we often went together.

HOTELS
My biggest beef with the hotels was the showers. I really expected a clean bed and a good shower, but that was not always to be had.

San Jose, Centro Colon:
This was the nicest hotel we stayed in. It had a pretty room. There was no dresser, but there was some closet space. You could get a wakeup call if you wanted to. The shower pressure was good, though sometimes the water changed from hot to cold without much warning. Breakfast was free and downstairs. The hotel had wireless, but no computers, and there wasn’t any internet café nearby.

La Fortuna (sorry, can’t remember the name)
This hotel was located in-town. It was two levels and looked like a motel. A really cheap internet café was nearby. The shower pressure wasn’t good at all, and the hot water would come and go. They didn’t give you any hand or floor towels, so we had to ask for some. It was basic looking inside. The hotel doesn’t offer a breakfast, but there were places around town. The hotel has laundry service. There was a security place. No wake up call.

Monteverde, El Amenecer
This hotel had a pretty inside, with the walls and stairs made out of rich, different colored wood. We were told to check our bed for spiders beforehand, but I didn’t see any. There wasn’t a special security place. No wireless. You could get breakfast there for $7. The hotel had a laundry service. The water pressure was okay. They gave you one hand towel. There was nothing around the hotel (except a rooster that crowed in the morning) so you had to walk to town for about 7 minutes or take a taxi. No wake up call.

Manuel Antonio, Mono Azul
This hotel was pretty – it had an open air restaurant, a small pool, and nice palm tree landscaping. The room was very basic and not very pretty inside. They gave you a hand towel, which was nice. The hotel was in between Quepos and Manuel Antonio, so you needed to take a bus or a taxi to get into town. The hotel had the worst water pressure of the hotels, hardly passable for a shower. It took some time to go from cold to hot. The hotel had a security spot. There wasn’t any laundry service. The hotel had a gift shop and internet café inside. The help desk gave me incorrect info (I’ll speak to this later) that left me pretty displeased with them. No wake up call.

SAN JOSE
There isn’t really much to do here, at least in the area around the hotel. You hardly spend any time here, though, because you are arriving from your flight your first day here, and are leaving for your flight your last day here. There is an ATM and a small grocery store nearby, which is convenient.

ARENAL LA FORTUNA
The arrival time here, I believe, was round 3 o’clock. That was unfortunate because it limited what you could your arrival day. The town is really more what I could a village rather than a town (short buildings, only a few shops). There are some places to eat which are not too expensive. If you’re not going on one of the activities I mention below, you’ll probably be bored with the town. It was mostly cloudy when went, with occasional sudden downpours that would last 10 minutes or so. I never got caught in one of these, but it would probably be good to have some type of rain gear on hand. There is a pretty cheap supermarket around town.

Activities:
Hike to waterfall
People did this because there wasn’t much to do on our arrival day because of when we arrived. They liked the waterfall and liked swimming in the water hole, where they saw fish.

Arenal Volcano night hike, $20
You really don’t have much of a chance of seeing the whole volcano because of all the clouds (as our guide informed us afterwards)– very few groups ever do, and even fewer see the volcano with lava flow. However, the hike through the forest was an amazing jungle experience. I felt the most jungle-like atmosphere on the tour here. Our guide was great, and gave us a liquid lava alcohol drink afterwards.

Arenal Hot Springs, $20
Others really enjoyed this. To me it didn’t seem as special, just like sitting in a hot bath. There are a lot of pools though, at different temperatures. There is waterslide, and they feed you. You can shower (they have soap) if you want to afterward, so you may want to bring a change of clothes and shower shoes.

Canyoning w/Desafio Company $75
Hands down, best experience in Costa Rica. You rappel down several waterfalls, wade through the river, and make a cannon ball dive into one section. You can buy pictures of the day for $15. They feed you, which is nice. The Desafio guys are Costa Rican, and simply amazing, and good fun. Loved this.

Rafting w/Desafio Company $75
I didn’t do this with this company, but I wish I did. If you do the mambo cambo (combining canyoning with rafting) you can only do rafting class 2-3 rapids on the same day. Group members said it was fantastic, and that the Desafio guys were hilarious and wonderful. They got fed at one point in the river, and some were able to do a float in a quiet section. Rafting 3-4 rapids takes the whole day, so you can’t do it with canyoning. Heard that 3-4 was amazing as well, and that the Desafio guys were great.

MONTEVERDE
We arrived here after taking a boat (with gorgeous scenery) around noonish. The town is small, also with not much to do outside the activities I mention. We didn’t have any rain issues. The ATM is in town, which is far away from the hotel. There was no bus, but a taxi ride to town was only $1. There is a supermarket in town, which is nice.

Activities:

Horseback Riding (Included)
Good fun, Food was cheap (around $6), Family was nice, forest views are stunning

Night Zipline w/Original Canopy Tour company in Monteverde, 65?
Absolutely fantastic – probably my second favorite thing on the trip. You get to zipline, climb in a hollowed out tree, and rappel 150 ft. It was only a few members from our group, and we had two guides that stayed with us the whole time, which was nice. One guide also led a mini hike up to our starting point. As you zip across the forest, you can look up at the stars. A Tarzan swing is included. For a good chunk of the zips, you have to break yourself, which can take some time getting used to.

Night Walk in Monteverde $20

I didn’t go on this, but the people who did said they didn’t see much.

Santa Elena Reserve Tour, included
We had a very knowledgeable guide, who was great. We saw a few birds and could take pictures of them through his telescope.

Selvatura Zipling (my price was $65, which included hanging bridges)
This was fun. Some of the zips were pretty short, but they were paired with ones that were long.
The very last zip is the best one—it’s huge, crosses a canyon, and they send 2-3 people together at a time. This tour also includes a Tarzan swing, which is a lot higher than the one with the other company. They had automatic breaks, so you didn't have to worry about that. Our tour group members were combined with other tourists, and there were about 6 guides working with us and moving us along, so it went faster but was less cozy. With this group, you can have a guide zip with you if you’re scared. However, overall, it didn’t feel as special as the night zip, and the other person that did both agreed.

Selvatura Hanging Bridges

You pass through a couple of bridges at the end of Selvatura zip tour, so some people decided to
not to go on this. I went, however. The hanging bridge thing was more like a long walk through the forest that happened to have bridges in it. I didn’t see too much. The bridges were at different heights. They didn’t seem like adventurous bridges, because they were pretty stable and did not move much, and had a pretty wide iron grate floor. You go on a lot of hikes, so I don’t know if you need to do this one, but the bonus of this is that you can take all the time you want, as you’re not being pushed by a tour guide or on a zip.

Coffee/Sugar Cane Tour
I didn’t go on this, but I heard it was fun. You get to make your own candies. Timing would conflict with ziplining.

QUEPOS AND MANUEL ANTONIO

We arrived close to 2 pm. Quepos and Manuel Antonio are two towns very close to one another. This area is village-like, like the rest of the towns. It’s on the coast, and was the hottest of the places we went to. I found the food prices higher here than in the other cities. However, there is one place I absolutely recommend—Backpackers Paradise, which is on the walk to the Manuel Antonio park. You can get beans and rice, eggs, toast, a pancake, and coffee or tea for only 1800 colones—fantastic. There wasn’t any supermarket from what I found. You could travel around town by a bus which was 240 colones. I wanted to spend some more time in the area, and asked about taking a regular bus back to San Jose. The hotel gave me information that was incorrect (twice) and ended up costing me at some $260 taxi ride back to the hotel. The bus to San Jose does not leave from across the hotel (despite what they said), and the last bus is at 5 o’clock. I was pretty miffed that the hotel did not even apologize for the wrong information.

Manuel Antonio Hike ($10 entrance, $20 tour guide)
Manuel Antonio park is great. You can see monkeys, sloths, lizards, crabs, etc. There are beaches there. I saw the third one, which has a very small strip of sand, but great views, and really warm water. My guide didn’t speak English that well, nor seemed terribly excited about the forest, and I got the feeling he was just stopping when other guides stopped and looking to see what was around. I felt like I was mainly paying for the use of his telescope. Though listening to other guides as we went around, some of them sounded really good. Many of our group members went without a guide, and thought it wasn’t necessary. You could stop and look when other people were stopping and looking. If you’re going to go that approach, it’s best to go in the morning when a lot of people and guides are going through the park. The park is only open until 4 pm, and is closed on Monday, so if you’re taking the CRQ beginning on Wednesday, on your first day in Quepos, the park will be closed.

Public Beach, Free

Nice place. Umbrellas and chairs are available for rent for $5 per person. The water is nice and warm.

Surfing at the Public Beach. Price ??

Several people went, with a company right off the beach, and said it was a lot of fun and that the guys were great.

White-water rafting, 3-4 rapids, Rio Tropicales, $79
This was okay. I was kind of upset because the company seemed to be mainly staffed with Americans and Canadians, unlike the Desafio place. I am not a good swimmer, and was rather disturbed by the fact that they have you simulate being thrown out of the boat. They send you down a class 2 rapid with your paddle, and tell you to float on your back and then swim to shore. (The other rafting companies did not ask you to do this). I had a really disturbing time, and almost decided not to do it. They made me do the whole thing again, much to my horror. However, they were really patient with me, and nice, and decided to let me stay in the boat (and not paddle) and do the trip that way. I did not fall out. The water was cold. The rapids were not continuous—they were shorter followed by periods of calm. Afterwards, we got some pineapple and cookies. Our guide let us smell lemon grass, and allspice from an organic spice farm nearby. Our guide pointed out a Jesus lizard that ran across the river (we saw two) and we saw two toucans as we were leaving. Our guide made us origami grasshoppers out of palm leaves, which is probably my best Costa Rica souvenir.

Night Zipline, $55.
This one was fun and made me think that night zips are definitely better than day zips. It had a combo of automatic breaks and self-breaks. The minus with this one was that it was mostly through the trees and so there was very little opportunity to look up at the stars. The rappel was only 40 ft. The zips weren’t amazingly long, nor high, but I still liked this better than the day one. Another person who attended both night zips agreed that the Monteverde night zip was better. They give you pineapple and watermelon afterwards, yum.

Sunset Cruise Tour, 50?
You go on a boat, they feed you, and they let you snorkel for 30 minutes. People who went said it was nice but wasn’t really worth the money, and that you shouldn’t go for the snorkeling, because you don’t see as much as you would if you went snorkeling in other places.

Mangrove Kayak Tour
I didn’t go on this, but people seemed to like this. Great scenery and relaxing.

ATV tour, $90 w/out lunch
This was fun, but I had a mixed experience. I wasn’t able to control my car that well and so ended up completely flipping over (as in the ATV upside down with my leg caught underneath it). I came away unharmed though. There was someone else in our group (not on that specific tour) that had some difficulty with ATV, so be careful. However, since I couldn’t drive myself, I went on the same car as one of the guides, and it was probably more fun that way. The road is nice and bumpy and the guide knew when it would be safe to go really fast. The water hole you can swim in is nice and has really warm water. You also get to walk a hanging bridge (which really represented the idea of what a hanging bridge should be like in my mind – ladder-like foot walk, real swaying as you crossed along, very long length, and across the canyon). Anyway, the company kindly informed me after I completed the whole tour and was about to leave, that I would be charged $200 to repair the car. Read that waiver, folks! Other than the cost thing, fun, but maybe not as much fun if you were driving yourself.

Parasailing
Didn’t do this, but people said it was great. There wasn’t too much information about this – there isn’t a company really that you could call and get some information about it. I think people found out about this by just going to the beaches and asking around.

Hope this helps! Costa Rica was awesome! Pura Vida!
Last edited by sarie on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sarie
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Detailed Costa Rican Quest Review

Postby TravelFun » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 pm

WOW...we're getting some great detailed reviews. Thanks alot and I'm sure will be much appreciated by others who are planning and/or thinking of going to Costa Rica.

Cheers!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby Carmey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:33 am

Great overview... I wish we had the guide you had, ours (Kimberly) didn't give us much information and we had to beg to stop for lunch. I didn't even know until I read your that you could do the zip line at night or the night walk. When we arrived at Monteverde at 3:30 in the afternoon we were told there wasn't anything to do for the rest of the day and that our optional activities would start the next day. I found that odd and a waste of our day. We did the nature walk then went stright to the zip line and then she wanted us to go stright to the coffee plantation tour without lunch, it was 2:30 and we had not eatten since 7:00. We wanted to do the canopy walk also and was told that we wouldn't have time due to the coffee plantation, she basically discouraged us from the canopy walk.
Carmey
User Rank: Traveller

Postby sarie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 am

Wow, that sucks, Carmey. When did you go? I went at the end of March, and also had Kimberly. Kimberly did mention the night walk at Monteverde, but one of our group members saw the flyer about the night zip on the wall of our hotel and asked Kimberly to call and get information about it. Same thing goes for the other night zip I did, the rafting I did in Quepos, the ATV tour, the parasailing and the surfing in Manuel Antonio.... A lot of information wasn't given to us.

We left for Monteverde at around 7:30 in the morning. When I talked about our arrival time, I was talking about the arrival time at the horse ranch. I don't know what time we got to our hotel. But I agree with you, the timing of things isn't great, and I included that in my evaluation of the trip. It's terrible that you had to miss out on some activities.
Last edited by sarie on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarie

Postby jessssica » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks so much for your thorough review.

I'm heading down there on May 19th for the CRQ. I'm hoping that every trip has good and bad and by being prepared with tons of information I can minimize the bad.

I know quite a few people who have been to CR and loved it, so i'm optimistic. I'm travelling solo so part of why I chose GAP had to do with comfort level (and making my mother happy, which sounds odd coming from a 30 year old). But really, I wanted some guidance so this seemed like a logical decision.

Did you get a malaria shot or take any anti-malaria drugs? I just checked the CDC and it seems like they just recommend mosquito prevention for the areas we'll be in. Am curious about your thoughts on this.

Thanks again for the info!
Jessica
jessssica
User Rank: Weekender

Postby sarie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:39 pm

I didn't know any type of malaria shot was recommended, so I didn't get one.
I brought down some eco-friendly bug spray, which I was surprised to find out, actually worked better for me than OFF. I did get bitten, however, when canyoning. The company did not want anyone wearing bug spray when they went in the water, I guess to maintain the quality of the water. So I had those bites to contend with. Should have brought calamine lotion along with the bug spray :)

Have fun on your trip! I agree, Costa Rica is awesome!
sarie

Postby agnes » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Just a quickie regarding our experience of the CRQ and just a response to Carmey's comments about his/her guide Kimberley. Myself, my husband and teenage son were on the same trip as Sarie - great report Sarie! And I think Sarie and everyone in the group would agree that Kimberley was a fantastic guide and was so helpful, pleasant and patient with us all and was calm and competent when an unforseen crisis arose. So Carmey, I and my family totally disagree with you regarding Kimberley.

I think that Sarie gave such a detailed report that there isn't much more I would add apart from to say that Costa Rica is a beautiful country and the food especially the fruit is so fresh and delicious. Just one little piece of advice though you may like to take hiking boots with you as I wasn't sure if I would need them but was so glad I brought them. Also, I had a fantastic massage in Monteverde only 8mins walk from the hotel but ask for the older lady who speaks english, 60 dollars and well worth it!
Michelle :)
agnes

Postby petertom » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks for the detailed review, my wife and I go on the CRQ next week. Sounds like if you pick the right side trips and bring a towel, one can have a great time. One question though - with the long bus rides, did you bring your own snacks or do they stop for food?
petertom

Postby trvlmonkey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Just went on this trip last week and it was great. In regards to the long bus ride, they really aren't that long and the guides stop often. The longest ride we had was less than 4 hours and we stopped twice. We always found great places to stop and get a snack. No worries about that really. Our guide (Greg) was amazing and really helped us out. Try to take some stomach meds though because some of the rides can be really bumpy and lots of turns and steep hills. Not for the weak stomached!
trvlmonkey

Postby Reditor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for the great review sarie, this is a popular tour and will help lots of people!
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ms949 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for this! Very helpful! :D
ms949

Postby jessssica » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I had wanted to post right after I got back, but unfortunately life in the real world got in the way.

I was on the May 19th CRQ and Greg was my guide. He was AMAZING!

Here's a little info about my personal experience.

San Jose
The hotel in San Jose was quite nice. From what I heard, it's being turned in to a Days Inn or a Holiday Inn, but the rooms were modern and clean with nice flat screen tvs. There was a very reasonable internet cafe very close by. I think it was $3 US for an hour or so.

La Fortuna - Arenal
The first day there a few of us chose to explore on our own (not through Disafio) and rented bikes and rode to the waterfall. The ride wasn't too long but it was extremely uphill. Many a cab passed us by and probably laughed as us pushing our bikes up in the incredibly steep hill. The bike rentals were maybe $5, very reasonable. It was one of my favorite activities on the whole trip and although it was hard, it was fun. The waterfall has you climbing down (and then up) over 400 stairs. But that too is very cool and totally worth it.
I did the Class 4/5 rapids with Desafio and they were great. It was the very beginning of the rainy season so the water level was low, but it was still fun, and like people have said, the guys were great.
I also did the Baldi Hot Springs and Night Volcano. We went to the volcano first and were able to see some lava (and lightning). The Hot Springs were interesting, but kind of reminded me of a water park more than hot springs I've previously experienced. Dinner was included and was pretty tasty.

Monteverde
Upon arrival we did the included horseback riding which was enjoyable and relaxing. The horses were really laid back and well behaved. Afterwards a bunch of us did the Don Juan coffee tour, which I thought was just ok. The cloud forest hike was great, our guide was fabulous and we saw some neat plants and birds.
The second day I did the Extreme zipling and it was great (aside from the fact that it was pouring). I had been iffy on ziplining and am so glad I did it. There was a tarzan swing as well and for an extra $5 you could do the final zip superman style, which I didn't do, but think it was probably worth it. I'd definitely recommend doing this for the $40/$45.

Manuel Antonio/Quepos
I pretty much agree with what Sarie said about this. The national park is ogrgeous and we did a great waterfall hike off the main path which had us wading through a few streams (due to all the rain). We saw lots of sloths and monkeys.
We didn't pay the $20 per person for a guide but occasionally stood near other guides and listened to what they had to say.
By this point in the trip, we had had rain almost every day so no one did any activities here.
We had planned a late departure to get beach time in on our final day but of course it rained so we were able to leave earlier.

Overall, it was a very good trip. I enjoyed all of the activites and had a great time with my tour group.

If you have any questions i'll gladly to my best to answer them.

Jessica
jessssica

Postby Carmey » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Just read the review Agnes wrote about my comments and respectfully disagree with the comments made in reference to my experience with the guide I had. It appears to be the same one you had on the trip you took. I’m glad you had such a great experience but the facts I wrote were true and happened. I’m not sure what you are disagreeing about in regards to my comments since you weren’t on our trip to experience the lack of information our group received or that we had to demand to stop for lunch. I noticed you said how nice and helpful Kimberly was and I do agree with that. If you read my post it has to do with lack of information not the fact that she wasn’t nice. I never attacked her character or personality one time in my post so again you can disagree but I’m not sure what you are disagreeing about since you weren’t on our trip and I was speaking about “my” experience with her. If I said I was on the same trip as you took and posted a negative comment then feel free to disagree but since that is not the case please don’t disagree with "my" personal experience when you were not there.
Carmey

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean