CRCR Basic Costa Rica review

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

CRCR Basic Costa Rica review

Postby djtekslave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey guys,

I'm just coming back from the new Basic Costa Rica tour.

We had a blast all the way !!!

First I think that this tour really encompasses well the different aspects and climates of Costa Rica. The time spent at each stop was just perfect.

It is a basic tour so some hotels were...well... basic, but some were of very good standard:

San Jose: Hotel Centro Colon - newly refurbished, great rooms, very clean, a bit noisy. Don't believe Trip Advisor on this one, the area around it is really not that bad.

Puerto Viejo: Kaya's Place - No hot water at this one, but a very relaxed atmosphere and a great location just at the entrance of the village and right across the black sand beach. Staff was very accomodating and made a BBQ for us the first night.

Cahuita: Villa Delmar - Probable the most basic of all hotels. Prepare to have wildlife in your room and uncomfy bed, but it was very well located and actually had a very rustic charm to it. Some didn't like it, I did.

La Fortuna: Hotel Carmela - Hotel in good standing, had A/C, hot water and centrally located. I liked it.

Monteverde: Historias Lodge - My personal favorite. It was a bit remote from town (still walking distance or cabs are cheap), but the rooms were brand new. It looked like a cosy chalet. In this one we had to multishare the rooms (3 people per room), but it was a good occasion to bond with someone else. Staff was really nice and accomodating.

Playa Samara: Casa Valeria (not sure about that name but there was Valeria in it) - Basic rooms, but ideally located right on the beach, close to a supermarket (good to stock on beer for beach parties) and 2 minutes walk from the village center. Staff was adorable and very helpful.

San Jose: Occisdental Torremolinos---Horrible place. Very run down and poorly designed rooms, rubble, odd decoration (Egyptian themed), location not so bad (it's not far from Centro Colon), And NO HOT WATER, this is supposed to be a standard-comfort hotel... but no hot water on the day of the flight back was a bummer.

So overall my trip was great, we had a good group, dedicated to have fun and enjoy the ride.

One minor comment to GAP, for some longer travel days (like Cahuita to La Fortuna) we found out that private transport was very efficient and not that much more expensive. It could be an option to consider to integrate some private transport in this trip.
djtekslave
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: CRCR Basic Costa Rica review

Postby jupiter » Mon May 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Thank you so much for your informative review! I was looking into that trip and a little wary of what 'basic' means.

Your review is detailed and answers the questions that concerned me most!

Cheers!

PS: A relative newbie at traveling, I think I will look into something more comfortable for CR.
jupiter
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean