Volcano Trail-Who's going on Aug 29-Sep 14?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Volcano Trail-Who's going on Aug 29-Sep 14?

Postby mas7agua » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first time going on any guide tour and to Central America. I already booked my spot for this tour which appears to be a blast. I am doing the Volcano Trail that starts at Antigua Guatemala and ends at San Jose, Costa Rica. I decided to open a discussion for those who are going on the trip on those same days. Are anyone of you arriving a few days early? What type of activities are you planning to do? I am just asking to see if you anyone came up with some interesting or exciting things that I may have missed.

For those who have done this trip already please let me know which activities were fun or not. Also let me know if you have any recommendations for those who have not gone on this trip yet.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I speak fluent Spanish besides English.
mas7agua
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Volcano Trail-Who's going on Aug 29-Sep 14?

Postby snownsurfgirl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:25 am

This trip is awesome. You need to do the white water rafting and ziplining in Costa Rica. Don't expect too much out of San Jose. Its really boring unless you love museums. The most expensive place out of all of them. Some of the bus rides between cities are a bit long and a few of the border crossings are hell. Make sure you bring something to entertain yourself. We had a hacky-sack and ended up playing for a few hours with some locals at a border crossing which was a ton of fun. I also speak Spanish and English which is a huge benefit for yourself and your tour leader who you will end up helping translate menus and sign and anything else your tour members wont understand. Trips to avoid: Motorcycle ride around Ometepe. Its really bumpy and and the roads are all dirt. Its cool to drive around the island but you dont learn anything cuz its too loud for the guide to tell you anything. Thats all I can think of now. If you have any questions about what to bring or anything else, let me know.

J
snownsurfgirl

Postby counterfugue » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 am

I just got back for this trip. Awesome time!

A few tips:

1) If your leader is Marianne, ask her to cut one day off Granada and go to Leon instead. Worth it. Both are great places (colonial, charming towns). Leon has volcano surfing at Cerro Negro. Do it.

2) In Arenal, you can go to the hot springs (a resort for $30) but instead, go to the hot RIVER. Ask a cab to take you there. It's free. It's a real river. All the locals go there. Bring flashlights and go at dusk.

3) On Roatan, everything is cool, but if you can rent scooters, do it. The island is big and has a lot to see. Go explore.

4) Spanish. Good for translating menus and signs -- true. But, if you speak it, talk to everyone you see. The locals are very friendly, and most of the cool things I saw were because of talking to shop keepers, taxi drivers, and pedestrians. I actually stayed one night with a family because of one of these conversations.

5) If you go to San Jose and have a day, go downtown to the central pedestrian market. Lots to see and buy. Or take a bus out of town to Irazu or Poas and hike the volcanoes. You can do it and be back in SJ before dark.
counterfugue
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby eleni82 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:04 am

Hi,

I'm also doing this tour from Aug 25th-Sept 10th. Thanks for all the tips!!
eleni82

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:00 pm

eleni82 and mas7agua - Don´t forget to check the August Departure Lounge to see if your fellow travelers are looking for you. If you don´t see this trip listed, go ahead and add it so the others can find you before the trip.

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean