Volcano Trail

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Volcano Trail

Postby m9s999 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Volcano Trail (Guatemala to Costa Rica) trip in a few weeks and am interested in hearing from anyone that has been on it recently. Any information or experiences you would like to share would be great. Some specific things I would like to get some feedback on are:

-Optional Activities. It looks like there are a lot of choices, all of which sound interesting. What activities did you do? Any you particularly enjoyed? Any that weren't that great?

-Travel Time. How realistic were the time estimates listed in the trip documents? Was there enough time to do activities in all the places?

-Packing. Anything you were really glad you took with you? Anything you didn't take and wish you did?

-Hotels. What hotels did GAP use and what were they like? I have been on GAP trips before, so I know generally what type of hotel they use, but sometimes quality can vary a lot.

-Transportation. What kind of transportation did GAP provide between the various cities? Was it vans with just your group in it, public buses, etc?

-Malaria Medication. Did you use malaria medication while on the trip? If so was it for the whole trip or just part? Some places say to use it; some say it's not necessary. What was your choice?

Thanks in advance for any information you are able to share!
m9s999
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Volcano Trail

Postby mas7agua » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Have pretty much the same questions although this is my first time traveling with any tour group. Anyone let me know how their experience was. I am planning to take this trip on the Aug. 25 date or the Oct. 6 date.
mas7agua

Re: Volcano Trail

Postby parhicks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:34 pm

I would strongly recommend Malaria medication since it is active in the areas you are visiting and is not a pleasant thing to get. Chloroquine is generally recommended for this area. It's considered to have few side effects unlike some other malaria medications. 500mg, once a week. You start a week before the trip and finish 4 weeks after.

Roatan is also known for it's sand midges so bring some good bug spray.

Dengue is also prevalent but it's effects are not unlike flu so most people don't bother with the vaccination.

Bring some firm walking shoes because volcanoes will eat up the soles of most soft soled shoes because of abrasion.

I hope this was helpful to you.
parhicks

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean