Mexico or cuba??

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Mexico or cuba??

Postby purpleturtle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Hiya all,
Hope you are all well.
Me and a couple of friends are looking to go travelling for a month in the summer and are thinking either Mexico or Cuba. Any recommendations for either?
Would really appreciate any advice or experiences you may have.
purpleturtle
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Mexico or cuba??

Postby TravelFun » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Ooooh, go for Cuba while it's still 'Fidels Cuba' as they say!

I went to Cuba in Mar'08 and was taken away by it's architecture and the warmth from the people. I was soooo excited when I booked and really wanted to understand more about it's history and of course the revolution and really wanted to see Fidel's Cuba. I didn't go with GAP but I went for 2 weeks and travelled around Cuba (with a group). There's so much you can learn about this Island, get to know the locals, take some salsa lessons, be in awe of Havana's grandeur of the past, venture to the Sierras, take in the scents of the tobacco farms and learn about the revolution en-route to relive it at the Museum of the Revolution on your return in Havana. A must do!

Also, if your not going with a company then hire a car to get around the Island...there's not much public transport between towns/cities.

Once experienced then start planning Mexico :wink:

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby Zuleika » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:38 am

I agree - go for Cuba - rumours abound that Obama is relaxing the stance on Cuba, so go while it is still a little time capsule of a bygone era, before change and modernisation takes over and before the Americans are allowed in. (No offence intended)
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby djtekslave » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:53 am

I have been to both and I prefered Cuba by far.

However you have to decide what you want to experience. Mexico has a lot more to offer if you're interested to learn about ancient civilizations. Whereas Cuba is all about its wonderful people and unique experience.

What I liked the most about Cuba is that people rarely try to sell you stuff (save for cigars in Havana and Varadero), whereas in Mexico I was annoyed by the constant and agressive sollicitation.
djtekslave
User Rank: Traveller

Postby JaliscoJudy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Don´t sell Mexico short. It is a huge, diverse country with a rich history and a tradition of fine arts and crafts. IMO, if you only go to the popular tourist areas (Cancun, Puerto Vallarta), especially the beaches, you don´t get to know Mexico at all. I haven´t been to Cuba but I can´t imagine people anywhere being any warmer than the people in Mexico that I´ve met. The ancient civilizations are certainly a good enough reason to visit Mexico, but there is much, much more to recommend it. Mexican hand crafts are amazing -- tapestries, laquerware, ceramics, guitars, textiles. There are mountains, jungles, beaches, canyons, and tequila, of course. :D
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby djtekslave » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:22 am

So I guess we have the answer... DO BOTH !!!
djtekslave

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 pm

djtekslave wrote:So I guess we have the answer... DO BOTH !!!

I like the way you think djtekslave!
JaliscoJudy

Postby purpleturtle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am

thanks everyone for the advice. we are goin to do a bit of reading and then decide over a glass of wine...or two!

any difference between the two in relation to safety?
purpleturtle

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:56 am

Not sure what kind of experience you're looking for. City? Adventure? Beach? All inclusive beach resort? Nature/Wildlife? Ancient Civilizations? Art/Culture?

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to hang out at the beach drinking pina coladas, I'm not sure it matters which beach it is. All the beaches will be hot and humid during the summer months.

I haven't been to Cuba so I can't compare, but if you want a variety of things to do check out Oaxaca in the tropical mountains of southern Mexico (elevation 5,000 feet). It's a UNESCO World Heritage Cith with markets and arts and incredible crafts and culture and ruins, but no cigars. The Pacific coast beaches are a day's bus ride away to the south west (summer is rainy season so you can expect rain almost daily at the beach). Check out Puerto Escondido, Huatulco, and Puerto Angel.

I don't think you'd be sorry with either destination. Let us know what you decide!
JaliscoJudy

Postby djtekslave » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Haven't been to Mexico very recently so I can't comment on the safety but I found Cuba to be very safe, even when we visited the very poor areas of central Havana.
djtekslave

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean