Costa Rica in May

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica in May

Postby meggie.c » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:49 am

Hi, I'm considering going on Costa Rica Explorer in May. I understand that May is the start of the rainy season. I was wondering what it would be like travelling during the rainy season - is it best to stay away altogether or would it be okay?

Also - I notice there are two trips during May - one the first two weeks, the other the second two weeks. Would going in early May make a difference?
meggie.c
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica in May

Postby ballu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm

First off, I've never been to Costa Rica so I can 't say with 100% certainty but...

I would think, much like the weather here were I live in Canada...sometimes we have snow in October, some years it doesn't kick in until January.

You'd be better off at the start of rainy season than smack dab in the middle of it. I went to Peru in Oct/Nov which was also the start of rainy season and the year I went it was fine. Probably most years it is fine, but there may be the occasional year when it's really wet.

Early May will probably give you greater odds than late May for better weather but again, weather can't be guaranteed.

If your choice is May or not go at all, personally I'd risk getting a little wet.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean