Another Mexico, Guatemala, & Belize Money Question

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Another Mexico, Guatemala, & Belize Money Question

Postby amalia10481 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Another question concerning money! (thanks to all those who responded to my earlier question!) Someone had mentioned that US dollars in $50's are not always accepted. The GAP itinerary mentioned bringing USD below $100, so I was going to bring $50s, to exchange at banks/airport/etc. Has anyone had problems exchanging $50s in Mexico/Belize/Guatemala? Or are $20s recommended?

Anyone have trouble with their debit/credit cards when withdrawing cash in Belize? (I heard it can be hard there, as in the ATMs don't always accept the cards. I was in El Salvador, Honduras, & part of Guatemala and had no problems, but I figure every country is different) Thanks!
amalia10481
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Another Mexico, Guatemala, & Belize Money Question

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 am

US 20s are the most heavily traded currencies (other than singles), therefore always recommended. It seems that even in the US sometimes vendors frown at 50s. I didn't have a problem with ATMs in Belize, but I think I used mostly cash anyway since (somebody mentioned this earlier) the exchange is an easy 2 to 1.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby cooly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am

I personally recommend smaller bills when travelling to different countries, its much easier to exchange, and more accepted in cash only vendors. Your bank would have no problem giving you smaller bills anyways
cooly
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jaiylin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Amalia, :D

I am going on the same tour as you! From the information I've gathered from others on this forum, guidebooks, and limited previous experience I've decided to take primarily US cash with me. I'm using 50s for the local payment, but 20s and below for other spending. I made sure that the bank gave me new bills only. I am bringing credit and debit cards for back-up.

In Mexico I've never had a problem using US dollars, and Belize seems to be the same. You can always exchange US cash to local currency if you find that you need to, or take some out at a debit machine if you'd like. You may loose a little on the exchange; but I've been warned that the bank fees for withdrawing money from machines can be quite high in some places (depending on your bank) so it seems that somewhere you're going to be dinged anyways. I've been warned that in Guatemala there is a low amount that you can take out at a time, around 140 USD -- but by the sound of it things are extremely cheap so you may not need very much there anyways..
Not sure if this helps!
jaiylin
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean