Budget Costa Rica

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Budget Costa Rica

Postby cooly » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:14 pm

do you guys know any more info on Guarantees on the dates posted? im really interested, and been looking around at some flights, but the only guaranteed departure is the first one, which i cant do due to Easter Weekend.
cooly
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Budget Costa Rica

Postby cooly » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:16 pm

a little update cause i emailed GAP directly...the CEO replied!

" Thanks for your interest in Gap Adventures!

We do have a confirmation for the April 10th departure. There is no specific number that guarantees the departure of this trip, yet I should mention that our Budget Costa Rica adventure proves to be quite popular and as we are still three months from this scheduled departure, the chances of the trip departing are quite good.

Should you decide to book this departure, and we have to cancel the scheduled departure date, you would get a full refund for the tour, a full 60 days before your departure.

Best Regards,

Graeham Magee
Chief Experience Officer (CEO) "

so i guess ill take the chance, book my flight, and if its cancelled just go anyway and find a random tour in San Jose! cheers!
cooly

Postby cooly » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 pm

FYI...the April 10 departure is Guaranteed now!
cooly

Postby albine59 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 am

I'm booked on this, is anyone else?
Alex
albine59
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby serendipity » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 pm

albine59 wrote:I'm booked on this, is anyone else?
Alex

Hi Alex, not booked yet but strongly considering. Just trying to find out more info from people who have been, if you have any interesting information please share :-).
serendipity
User Rank: Weekender

Postby cooly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:45 am

hey Serendipity, hope you come on board soon...this Forum has alot of info on Costa Rica, and this particular tour is cheaper than most

Russell
cooly

Postby cooly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:43 pm

oh i miss this trip/people so much!!...just got back and will point out a couple of things on the trip to help out anyone else whos going.

San Jose - didnt get to go around at all, and from what i heard there is nothing much in the city anyways, this is probably the best place for souvenir shopping though, better than lugging it around to the other places. If you have good haggling skills, test it out in here at the central market. Cheap to go around around 1000-2000 colones ($2-4)

-prepare yourself for the long journeys between, they are long and winding, but manageable
-Money--i had some trouble with this, i only took out # of USD, thinking i will be able to access the ATM, which was available, BUT! by the time i needed to get more cash in Montezuma, the 2 cash machines in the bigger town we stopped at before Montezuma on the road, didnt take my card for some reason, and the cash machine in Montezuma ran out of money inside...eventually it was back and running and i was able to pay back the tour guide and other gappers that lent me money. So i really suggest bring a little extra. Having just USD will be fine, they will either pay you back change in Colones no problem!

La Fortuna - great time here, i did Canyoning, Hot Springs, La Fortuna Falls, and Volcano hike...paid Canyoning and Hot Springs by Credit Card, La Fortuna falls was cash entrance to the park $10, and Volcano Hike was cash, i think we got a deal with this one because we were gappers ($55)
Canyoning is amazing, must do, and be prepared to get wet, cant be avoided. We went to Baldi Resort for the hot springs, great way to just relax here, have a good time with your fellow gappers. Volcano hike was a mess and a highlite...the guide is pretty well known around La Fortuna, and he took us as safe and close as possible to the Volcano, it was a midnight hike. Unfortunately it was raining, and the hike ahead of us were wet, muddy, and slippery! so your shit is gonna get dirty and wet for real!, but it was all worth it, we didnt care that we were covered in mud...the sounds and views of seeing the lava from Arenal Volcano was something else! Poncho or rain jacket a must if you find out it will rain.

-suggest to have snacks in between places, like i said it gets pretty long, but there will be times the bus will stop for bathroom breaks and there will be places to get food

Montezuma - beach time, hikes, Zip Lining, Tortula Island/Snorkeling...take the free simple hike to Montezuma Falls, its a little tricky to get there, but real nice, take a dip. Tortula island is a good 40 min boat ride, beaches there was great. You can combo this particular day trip with an hour or 2 stop to his nature reserve where u can see all kinds of animals, like monkeys and birds. Tortula island does get a little crowded in the afternoon, its a popular attraction to other companies, so expect the crowd. Snorkeling was fun, we saw alot of fish, and if you lack swimming skills like i do, they provide life jackets. Zip lining here is alot of fun, our guide said he never tried it in this city, but after trying it, now recommends it, it was fun, went upside down at one point.

check out Chico's Bar and restaurant for a night out, good music at night to party with locals and fellow gappers, and a good place to eat lunch. Restaurants were a tad difficult on separating bills, so be prepared and like i said its better to have alot of change with you. I totally forgot the name of the last restaurant we went too, after all the last 2 bad experiences, this one accomodated us no problem, we were so greatful, the food was excellent, and the owner even gave us free breads and dessert.

a few of us had 1 extra day in San Jose, so we all did the rafting in Pacuare River--Amazing, first time rafting, this was so much fun...well worth it!

let me know if you have any questions, ill try my best to answer them...Pura Vida!
cooly

Postby jessssica » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

a few of us had 1 extra day in San Jose, so we all did the rafting in Pacuare River--Amazing, first time rafting, this was so much fun...well worth it!

Hey cooly. I'm going on costa Rica Quest in less than a month and extended my stay in San Jose for one day as I wanted to try and go whitewater rafting on the Pacuare. What group did you use and would you recommend them?

I am most likely going to be staying at a different hotel for my final night and wanted to find out how the rafting worked with pick-up etc.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jessica
jessssica

Postby cooly » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Jessica, i kept their business card actually...the company we used were Exploradores-Costa Rica Outdoors, your Gap tour leader may be able to help you out on this cause if you have a few people going you can get a group discount...its regularly $100, but our group paid $90 each instead. The rafting took the whole day...starts on 6am pickup, close to 2 hours by bus to location. Includes breakfast and lunch. Home by around 4ish.If you book with them, they will take your hotel info and will pick you up at your hotel. This was my only time to buy souvenirs too, so as we went home, we asked the bus driver to drop us off the central market instead of the hotel. Definitely go for it if you can! Enjoy your trip!
cooly

Postby jessssica » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks so much for the info, I will definitely look in to it.
Jessica
jessssica

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean