Costa Rica in March - Questions

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica in March - Questions

Postby envirochick72 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 pm

So what is the best type of shoes to be wearing? I've got some portaging shoes and some reg. hiking shoes as well as boots? Which should I bring? Do I bring flip flops or berks?

Clothing?
Jeans vs quick dry? Do I stick to one or bring one of each?
how warm of a sweater do I want other then a fleece pullover?

Just looking for advise as to what I should/shouldn't bring for the CR trip, it's the explorer trip.

Medical
What shots are recommended when travelling there? Any suggestions of what to bring... advil, gasex, pepto? What do you suggest I bring with the first aid kit?

Water
Should I bring a hydration pack or but bottled water?

Food:
anything I should or shouldn't eat? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advnace!
Last edited by envirochick72 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Costa Rica in March - Questions

Postby mrzeszow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Shoes:

Bring a comfortable pair of walking/hiking shoes. A heavy hiking boot is not really necessary. I hiked the volcanoes in hiking shoes and others did it in runners. Hopefully you don't mind getting them wet/dirty because if the weather is rainy, especially in the cloud forest, it can get muddy.

Bring a pair of shoes for the beach and that you don't mind getting wet. If you choose to do all the water activities like whitewater rafting, canyoning over the waterfalls, etc, you will get your shoes wet.

Clothing:

In most parts of the country your clothes will dry quickly and it will be really hot. In Monteverde it will be more muggy/chilly and things will take a lot longer to dry. You are going in the dry season but in this area temps are fairly constant. At least one sweater/fleece/pull over would be helpful to keep you warm. A rain shell also helps.
mrzeszow
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean