Costa Rica Adventure - Feb 13 10

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica Adventure - Feb 13 10

Postby aberdani » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Hello, I am traveling to Costa Rica and would like an opinon from someone that has traveled there on whether it is worth bringing an expensive camera..?? I am a little nervous due to the rain and all the activities involved..and if i do chose to leave it behind in my room will it be safe..?
aberdani
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica Adventure - Feb 13 10

Postby leejay4057 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I just got back and wouldn't recomend taking an expensive DSLR. A compact camera is better. It was very wet at times and no way to dry out for days. Plus some of the travel is very rough (Rara Avis).
A camera with a high power zoom is good too as some of the animals are small and in the trees.
Some of the rooms had safes but they were small and may not accomidate a DSLR with extra lenses.
Have fun
leejay4057

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm

Where there is a will there is a way! It really depends on the type of photography you'll be doing, but if you're worried about moisture there are ways of protecting your camera. Drybags are a great option for the in between times when you want to stow your camera, plastic bags (like the kind hotels usually leave in your room for laundry) are great for keeping the rain off if you're hiking with the camera out. You'll have to decide if its worth it to carry a few extra precautions in order to get the better shots.

Oh, and if the safes aren't big enough, then carry the camera with you! Chances are you'll get better pictures outside of the safe anyway... :wink:
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby scarl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:19 pm

For an SLR, you can also always go with something like an aquapac SLR case. They are designed to let you use for camera under water, but would work well to protect it from rain and/or dust.

I have a camcorder and bought the Sony underwater case for it, so you might have a manufacturer's option there as well.

Just a thought.
scarl
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby aberdani » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for the feedback...I think i will take the extra precautions and bring it along..
aberdani

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean