The use of American dollars in Cuba

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

The use of American dollars in Cuba

Postby kennedymaier » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Does anyone have information about the use of American dollars in Cuba?
We will be on the Colonial Cuba trip and realize that, other than Havana,
ATMs will not be available.
kennedymaier
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: The use of American dollars in Cuba

Postby sinecure » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 am

I would not count on ATM's even in Havana. I believe when we were there I only saw one.

As for USD, they were not generally accepted with out heavy penalties. You would be better off bringing Canadian dollars or Euro's as these are more widely accepted.
sinecure

Re: The use of American dollars in Cuba

Postby djtekslave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:13 pm

I went to Cuba last year. Indeed there are very few ATMs. There are only 5 or 6 in the whole Havana.

USD are not accepted anymore, neither are credit cards issued on a US company (ie AMEX, MBNA, CITI etc...). You must obtain local currency early on in your trip (airports tend to have the best deals, better than hotels anyway). There are 2 types of pesos in Cuba, but as tourist you're only allowed to have ''toursit'' pesos, called convertible pesos, whereas the rest of the population uses their local peso currency (be sure to check that they give you convertible pesos when they give you change).

I LOVED every second of my trip to Cuba, and although I have travelled quite a bit, I found Cubans to be the most welcoming people I've ever seen.
djtekslave
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean