Costa Rica creepy crawlies???!

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica creepy crawlies???!

Postby stormy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:31 pm

HI there. I'm off to Costa Rica, and then Nicaragua, this Sunday!!! Woo hoo! Going for a month, and will be on the Gap CR Quest for 9 days. OK, this is ridiculous, but I am absolutely PETRIFIED of spiders!!!!!! Absolutely and most certainly TERRIFIED by even the smallest of these creatures. I know you get HUGE tarantulas in CR and probably Nicaragu and I'd like some reassurance that I won't have to encounter them?!!! Can anyone tell me what's the likelihood of 'bumping' into them? I'm hoping they don't just appear! Tell me they live in the deepest heart of the jungle, and are only dicovered by those who actively seek them?!!! No winds up please!!!
Any other hints and tips for the CR Quest would be greatly appreciated.
Any if anyone has gone overland into Nicaragua.....
Cheers!
Stormy
stormy
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica creepy crawlies???!

Postby graybeard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Sorry that you have an spider phobia. Going into nearly any country, perhaps with the exception of Iceland, means that you may encounter such critters. When I was in CR the only time I came across one was during a jungle hike, and for the "big one", i.e. tarantulas, we had to actually seek them out. Never found one in living quarters or restaurants. But, no, cannot absolutely guarantee you will not see one.
Nevertheless, CR is a wondrous place. Go enjoy it anyway.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby hoopoe4me » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:38 am

I was in CR two weeks this months

I think I saw 1 spider. I did see webs ( empty) in one location.

Spiders, overall , are shy loners. You leave them alone you are likely to do fine.

I would avoid cave excursions since, like attics, spiders favor environments like this
hoopoe4me
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby stormy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks for the responses guys! Really appreciate that! I feel more at ease now! Cheers!Only a couple of days before I head off! Hooray!!!!
stormy

Postby envirochick72 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 pm

I just have to thank you soooo much for asking this question in the first place. I have a very similar fear of spiders and I am happy to hear any advise to advoid them.

THANKS!
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean