Help! How to top Costa Rica ???!

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Help! How to top Costa Rica ???!

Postby b.shaw » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey guys

So I've recently done the Trek Hidden Costa Rica with G.
Without rambling too much, this trip pretty much changed my life and was the best thing I have ever done. Sleeping at home stays, caves and trekking, rafting, washing in the river, living with no power, hot water and physically pushing myself on the Red Hill has honestly been 2 weeks I will never forget.
My problem now (other than wondering on a daily basis if I should quit my job and go live on a beach in Costa Rica) is that I have no idea where I can go next to top or equal that experience! I never want to stay in an all-inclusive hotel again! Lol.
So I'm wondering if anyone out there may have done the trek hidden CR before or knows of anything that might compare that they could suggest for me.
I'm looking for action packed adventure where you get dirty, sweaty, and laugh/dance and smile and hold scary looking spiders cos the locals promise you they don't bite the whole time like I did in CR. None of this bus around for 8 hours a day shite.
I'm totally in love with Central America now and I think maybe South America might be the place to go next that might be similar. I definitely want a physical grading of 4 or 5 too.
Not sure if I'm asking to much but I feel this post-holiday blues will not end until I have the next goal in mind to focus on. Haha so dramatic I know, but I just can't explain how awesome this trip was. Like if you saw Jack Sparrow riding a unicorn handing out free rum and glitter was in the air with Miranda Kerr walking behind him holding a shade sail over his head and giving out free Thai food and the only dress code was sarongs and the was hundreds of little puppies running around it still would not be as awesome as Costa Rica was.

Looking forward to any suggestions,

Cheers :)
b.shaw
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Help! How to top Costa Rica ???!

Postby happytrekker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

I did the Peru Panorama (PPP) trip a few years ago and it was amazing! It's a good mixture of what you are looking for with a physical grading of 4. You get a little bit of city, trekking & camping to Machu Picchu, a homestay on Lake Titicaca island, staying at an eco lodge in the Amazon jungle, and more!! Check out the trip itinerary. It was my first G Adventure trip and I loved every minute of it!! I'm planning on doing my 4th G adventure trip soon!

Alyssa :D
happytrekker
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ncjess » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am

Sounds awesome! I'm planning a CR trip next fall. I'm going on the Mayan trip this June (Guatemala, Belize, Mexico). I'll report back when I return. What was the name of your trip?

Jess
ncjess

Postby superlu79 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm happy i checked the forum today...and read your message!
I'm flying tomorrow to San Jose to start my trek hidden tour and reading yiur comment convinced me that i made the right choice!
I hope to survive ling enought to come back and confirm what you wrote...i'm pretty scared by red hill :)

Cheers
superlu79

Postby b.shaw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Ahh suplerlu79 I'm so jealous!!! Mate you will love it! And don't stress about red hill just take your time and drink plenty of water. Say hi to Ernyk if he's your tour guide, he's awesome!!

And ncjess, I did the Mayan Encounter and that was amazing aswell!! If you can and you're interested, try doing both Crystal Caves and ATM cave... I asked the tour guides and managed to con 5 others in the group to do both as they wanted a minimum to do a second day as you only have one day. By doing the second day it just means you miss the chicken bus ride to Belize City before you depart for Caye Caulker but it's def worth it! Both caves are completely different and amazing. And the tour guides just dropped us at the boat dock after the second day and we met with the rest of the group to go to caye caulker anyway.

and im glad you said that happytrekker, I literally just wrote down Peru Panorama to check out and tell the others in my Costa Rica group about as we're all planning a reunion for our next trip! Very happy to hear someone thinks it's amazing.
I'll keep you posted:)

Thanks so much for your input guys!!

:)
b.shaw

Postby joannabristol » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Got to agree...Costa Rica is amazing, Ive just done the Costa Rica Adventure...and I tend to agree...gotta be Southern America for the next trip!
joannabristol

Postby dt148 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 am

G'Day, I'm heading through Central America in July so greatful to see your comments on how much you like it. I can suggest a few places for all your next trips.
Cuba is a must. It will be a place like you've never experienced before. As the most travel stories say, like stepping back into the 50s or 60s but simply brilliant, as I said just go there next.
Then start in South America. Brazil , Argentina, Galapagos, Peru, there is so much to see.
dt148

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean