TREK HIDDEN COSTA RICA Questions

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

TREK HIDDEN COSTA RICA Questions

Postby b.shaw » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:47 am

Hi there

I've booked to do the Trek hidden Costa Rica tour for march 2014 and have already starting preparing stuff ill need as I'm so excited. I'll probably be packed at waiting by mid December :)

I'm not sure if this is a really stupid question but I'm basically wondering if hiking boots are necessary for this trip or if I can get away with a quality pair of hike runners without the ankle support. I know it's the dry season and I hate being smothered in hot weather so I'd prefer wearing runners if possible but I definitely don't want a sprained ankle on this trip either.
Also wondering if waterproof jacket and fleece jumpers are necessary as I'd rather be covered in rainwater then sweat from covering up if its high humidity...
Lastly, I have a 75litre hiking bag plus 15 litre day pack, do you think this is sufficient for the trip
(I am also doing Mayan Encounter straight after Costa Rica so have around one month all up for this trip.) if any girls can let me know how big their packs were who have been on this trip that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance
:D :D
b.shaw
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: TREK HIDDEN COSTA RICA Questions

Postby foxer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi B.Shaw,

I did this trip in April, and it was AMAZING!

I wrote a huge a response a few months back to someone else making enquiries on this trip, and it's further back in this Central America forum - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24929 in case you hadn't already come across it.

If you have any further questions after the mammoth response, let me know!

Good luck!
foxer
User Rank: Weekender

Postby lissy_r » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 am

Hiya,

I'm going on this tour in December and have read through your very helpful tips which was brilliant!

Couple of further questions:

When the itinery says you need to repack your bag for the hike excursions, will I just be taking a day sack or will I be taking my big backpack and leaving some of the heavy bits behind? (If its the latter presumably I'd need to take a duffle or sometime to hold the stuff I'm leaving behind?!)

Secondly, where it says that you sleep in sleeping bags at the cave, does this mean I need to ring one? It's not on the checklist but I'd rather make sure!

Thanks.
lissy_r

Postby foxer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 am

Heya Lissy_r,

Congrats on booking an amazing trip!

Backpack situation: Bring a day pack!!! Can't stress that one enough (cause I didn't bring one and desperately wished I had!). When they say to repack for the hikes, you take only what you need in your day pack, and leave everything else behind in your big pack. Just make sure you bring have rain covers to fit both! (Oh, and bring you bathing suit on the family stays and cave days...!).

Sleeping bag: They provided the sleeping bag for us.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!
foxer

Postby gnome mad » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm booked on this trip for January.

I've learned just hiking around here in the Texas summer that ankle support is worth having a little bit of "smothered" feeling on hilly and/or rough terrain. Especially when I'm carrying a pack, it's the difference between stepping with confidence and stepping with uncertainty on a steep ascent/descent.

You always have to sacrifice something.

In my case, I'm going to CR with some well-ventilated semi-minimal Merrell hiking boots. I'm sacrificing some sturdiness in the event a rock falls right on my foot, but gaining breathability for the hot weather without losing decent waterproofing, traction, or ankle support.

There are always trade-offs.
gnome mad

Postby lissy_r » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 am

Thanks that's really helpful!!

I'm going to buy a new day pack (thays for the tip on getting one with a rain cover...) but I already have a nicely worn in pair of hiking boots so I'm ok on that front.

Can't wait to go now!!
lissy_r

Postby foxer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Heya Lissy_r,

You should be able to a buy a rain cover on its own - instead of having to buy a whole new pack. The covers are pricey (mine was nearly $50 cnd for a 60L pack), but again, very well worth it. I got mine at Atmosphere.

And gnome mad - yes! Ankle support is veeeery important, especially if your ankles like to roll, like mine! As mentioned in my massive long post, the paths are very hilly, and uneven. Lots of places to roll ones ankle, and when I did the trip, there were portions of the path that have mini rivers across it that leaps of faith weren't good enough, and we all got wet! Best of luck in your Merrells! Many in my group had the smaller hikers and did fine.

Have fun you guys!
foxer

Postby cfriesen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 am

I'm also going March 2014 and was wondering how intense the hiking is. And is a fleece needed?
cfriesen

Postby t8r » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am

Just got back from this trip. It was amazing!!! We went in dry season and the hiking was extreme. Prepare now. I'm in average shape, not as good as some in my group and I found the hiking amazing but it was definitely tough. Get it in your mind now that it is going to very hard. There is one section that is uphill for 2km. It just keeps going and going.

As for the fleece, I was fine with a long sleeve shirt. I would recommend a pair of those keen water shoe/sandal things. There will be lots of times they'll come in handy and you kill two birds with one stone. I took a rain jacket but didn't need it even when it was raining, which wasn't often. Again, dry season. Take a day pack in addition to your main pack. I wore hiking boots but some people wore shoes.

This is an incredible trip. Enjoy every second. I would go back in a heart beat.
t8r

Postby grsumukha » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:11 am

Hi Guys,

I have booked my TREK HIDDEN COSTA RICA in the month of July,2014.

How about the security in COSTA RICA. Do i need to carry my passport every where or is it OK to leave it in my regular BAG-PACK.
grsumukha

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean