ANEA131222:Everest Adventure December 22, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ANEA131222:Everest Adventure December 22, 2013

Postby tbarone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:30 am

My daughter and I from the U.S. (California) are a part of this trip and would like to communicate with others about preparation for the cold weather ahead, dealing with altitude, and just to make a connection prior to this great adventure. My name is Ted and my daughter is Devon.
Hope to hear from everyone. 4 1/2 months away. It will be here in a flash.
Regards.
tbarone
User Rank: Weekender

Re: ANEA131222:Everest Adventure December 22, 2013

Postby tramper » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Ted & Devon
I'm also going on the Everest base camp trip in December and can't wait.

My name is Alan and I'm from the UK just north of London.

What to pack I hear say, oh my god I think I've bought most things and then a bit more. I would consider myself as a seasoned traveller but packing for this trip is going to be hard. I think we are limited to a weight of 10kgs on our main bag as this is a maximum for the Sherpa's are able to carry x2. I've just returned from a trip to Antarctica back in February but none of that stuff would be suitable so I think for me it's going to be layers rather than big down jackets. I've certainly been keeping The North Face company afloat in these difficult financial times :D

I'd love to hear about your preparations and plans.
Regards
Alan
tramper
User Rank: Traveller

Postby tbarone » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 am

Hello Alan,
Thank you for your reply.
I think your layers strategy is likely the right one. I've looked at videos of travelers atop Kala Pattar (which is the highest point we are likely to get to) and their dress in late December ranges from long-sleeve shirts to complete bundling with comments like, "It's so cold that when I took my gloves off to take a picture, they froze instantly." It could be below zero Fahrenheit (I know, the New World) much of the time. Or it could be very comfortable (as in near freezing) during the day. So, yes. Layers. We have or are borrowing snow gear but I worry about the weight and bulk.
The altitude will be a challenge. We were recently hiking up at 10,000 feet near here but we'll pass through that elevation pretty quickly on the trip. I hear a lot about Diamoxx as a useful drug for combating the ill effects of altitude. What are you thinking about that?
Will you be traveling with others?
Regards,
Ted
tbarone

Postby tramper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi Ted
I'm a little worried about packing too much and then having to leave some/most of it in Kathmandu, when we possibly get told about the 10kg weight limit. I hope the god of North face equipment doesn't strike me down but I purchased a couple of Berghaus wick-away long sleeve tops yesterday which I'll wear as another layer.I'm a little reluctant to start packing ski gear because of the bulk and as I think I said we've not long got back from Antarctica and I took very warm clothing and to be honest you didn't really need it. I know this will be different because we are out in the snow,wind,rain and altitude but I should be OK if I get cold as I'll borrow some layers of this great Californian guy called Ted :lol:

You mentioned Diamox,I've read about this but I'm not too sure we can buy it in the UK?

I will be travelling on my own as my girlfriend decided it wasn't for her which is a shame.We did a couple of UK mountains/hills and she found that hard so she has let me loose on my own to explore.
Have you sorted out your itinerary yet, ie are you fly to Kathmandu doing the trip then straight home?

Regards
Alan
tramper

Postby tramper » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 am

Well only 3 months to go and I just wondered how everyone is getting on with the packing side and just generally getting ready?

Alan
tramper

Postby tbarone » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Alan,
Hope you are well. I've been doing some research on sleeping bags and down jackets. Rentals of each are very inexpensive (like at most $1 per day for a 4 season sleeping bag) from shops in both Kathmandu and Namche Bazaar. Nepalese manufacturers of down jackets are supposed to be pretty good and inexpensive. I've made some contacts with a well known family of sherpas who live in Namche and Kathmandu (had a son of the family over for dinner a few weeks ago) so I imagine they will be able to give me some leads on the best vendors. Otherwise, we're planning on lots of layers. Could be rather nice (long sleeve shirts) during the day, but super freezing at night. Wind will be a problem at Kala Pattar and probably everything above Lobouche.
Getting excited.
Ted
tbarone

Postby tramper » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:04 am

Well less than six weeks to go,is everyone ready?? :-)
tramper

Postby tbarone » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey Alan,
We are totally ready.
If you want a wonderful preview, I found a website with a beautiful photo log of the trip we're doing from January of 2011, an Indian couple who now live in Campbell, California, USA. The web URL is kiranc.com. Check it out.
Another cool site is a webcam of the Khumbu glacier, updated every minute; and on the same page, a webcam of the top of Everest but I can't tell how often it is updated, perhaps once per day. That site is: http://evk2.isac.cnr.it/.
See you soon.
Ted
tbarone

Postby tramper » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Well only two days till the off BUT I'm struggling with my packing.

I think I'm right in saying that we're only allowed 10kg main luggage for the sherpa to carry and 5kg for hand luggage for the flight from Kathmandu - Lukla.
I've packed,unpacked,packed and even unpacked again. Because of the weather conditions we may come up against I just can't seem to drop my weight from 17kg (total). In this I've included a 4 season sleeping bag, liner, walking poles, hat,gloves,spare pair of trekking trousers and 4 base layer tops as well as underwear and wash bag.

One thing I do need to get is a very large waterproof stuff sack to decant my stuff into from my holdall as this then has to go in the bag the Sherpa carry.

What have I packed that you haven't? I can't seem to get my weight down anymore without freezing to death there.

Alan
tramper

Postby tbarone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Alan,
I agree that seems like an impossible number. Perhaps we should just wear everything on the flight and stuff things in our pockets :-).
We're flying out tonight to have a couple of days in Kathmandu. We'll just have to figure it out there.
See you soon. Can't believe it's now.
Ted
tbarone

Postby tramper » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Ted
How long have you got Kathmandu before the trip? It starts on Sunday doesn't it???

Alan
tramper

Postby tbarone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:00 pm

We arrive Friday night. So two days on our own. Don't forget we cross the international dateline.
See you Sunday
tbarone

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge