Ultimate Cambodia Adventure(8-22 November)

Meet travelling companions booked on G Adventures trips departing in November

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Ultimate Cambodia Adventure(8-22 November)

Postby funkyirishman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:16 am

So anyone going on this trip? Two Irish blokes land in Bangkok on the morning of the 8th after overnight flight from Dublin via London. Have friends in Bangkok so may meet with them on the Sat but we will both be up for some pre travel drinks. We may bring some drink from Duty free just so the long bus journeys will feel shorter but will try local beers and bring a few along. Painting a bad picture of us but we do want to see the country also. We have both been to Bangkok before but not Cambodia so want to see and experience all :D

So anyone going and where are you coming from?
funkyirishman
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Ultimate Cambodia Adventure(8-22 November)

Postby louisekinna » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am

Hi Guys! I am also on this Trip! I'm an Essex girl (and sorry to disappoint but the TV show The Only Way is Essex isn't a true reflection of most of us!) I'm flying out from Heathrow on the evening of the 6th November and land in Bangkok at 7.20pm on the 7th so will definitely be available for some pre travel drinks on the 8th! (I have some Irish friends and know how you love a drink!! :lol: ) Nothing like starting as we mean to go on! I'm traveling on my own so pretty nervous as I have never done anything like this before but really looking forward to meeting new people and exploring Cambodia! So have you two been on any other trips with gadventures or is this your first one?

Louise
louisekinna
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby funkyirishman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Louise ok we won’t hold that against you been from Essex people from there nothing like the TV but who believes the TV :oops: Yes we land on the morning of Sat 8th and staying in the hotel Hotel Centra Central Station Bangkok on arrival maybe a bit jetlagged but raring to go. Want to see a bit of Bangkok and I have friends there also. I have done 4 G adventures on my own this is the first time a friend is coming. Groups have been varied and friendly and had no hassle so don’t be nervous and if you are we will take you out for a beer we don’t bite :mrgreen: . Just bringing a backpack and carrier bag travelling as light as possible. Not sure if to arrange Cambodia visa prior to departing or get it on border. Also bringing some small denominations of USD and any other money can take from ATM.

Only 3 more months to wait and It can’t come quick enough so just look forward to it and as you say you will meet new people and experience new cultures, food and drink..
funkyirishman

Postby louisekinna » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:54 am

I am also staying at the hotel Hotel Centra Central Station Bangkok on the Friday night when I land. Any ideas on the best way to get to the hotel from the airport? Not sure whether to get a taxi or use the metro?! As for visa I will probably get that sorted before I go as I like to be organised and it's done then! I'm loving your enthusiasm and the fact your not going to let your jetlag get in the way of exploring Bangkok! This is the futherst place I have traveled so not sure how it will effect me but I'm sure I will be fine. Who needs sleep anyway!! :shock: I'm going to try and pack light but being a girl it's harder for us! Always get carried away and before you know it my whole wardrobe is packed. Will try to be more ruthless though!
Thanks for the offer of a beer and I will definitely take you up on that! Roll on November :D
louisekinna

Postby funkyirishman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Louise the best way is a taxi but watch out for the scammers and make sure you agree fee or get meter taxi. Never done the train but more info on it at http://www.srtet.co.th/en/index.html seems to be easy enough. As there are 2 of us we may get a taxi as will be banjaxed when arrived if not drunk from drink on plane :lol: I'm not painting a good picture of myself am I :mrgreen:

Yes pack light and be ruthless I learned that from each trip.Going to look into the visa situation and see if get it prior to going or wait until we get there.

So see you for a beer in Bangkok on the Sat we shall be starting early........Breakfast anyone :P

Got more info on another forum. User went on the same trip

Our tour did Phnom Penh and Siem Riep.

In Phnom Penh, we visted the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Prison, which was a sobering experience, to say the least. If you are planning on visiting these, I would organise something upbeat for the afternoon. If you are going, go in the morning to combat the heat especially at the Killing Fields Memorial.

We did a cyclo tour, which may be organised for you. If its not, and you get a free afternoon, I would recommend it. It was I think $10, and I thought it was great and you got to see loads of the city and my driver had basic English and would point out landmarks to me and explain what they are. The Royal Temple is worth a visit, but not something that I would say is a must see sight.

Siem Riep is more like Thailand, in that its more focussed on nightlife. Some of us on our free afternoon went quadbiking. I didn't think I'd enjoy this as much as I did. We went through paddy fields and small villages that you wouldn't normally have gotten to see, so it was really a good way of seeing the real Cambodia.

If you have laundry, wait until here to get it done as its cheaper than Phnom Penh ($5 for I think 5kg, whereas in PP it was $10).

I'm assuming you're going to go to Angkor Watt - they'll bring you at 5am to see the sunrise. Don't dawdle going in, as it will be quite packed. Get yourself as close to the lake as possible so that you can get a picture of the reflection of the temple in the lake. This was the worse place for children begging - its hard, but don't even make eye contact with them as you'll be plagued otherwise.

The shops here are a rip-off, so make sure you bring water. It gets very hot with the sun reflecting off the stone buildings, especially in the overgrown part, in which you can't buy water. I had a 2 litre bottle but if I had 4 litres I would have drank them as I was passing out with the heat.

Its all dollars. Try and get small demoniations from your bank as they really don't like getting more than $10. When I was ordering my dollars, I asked for $1's and $5's .... When paying in dollars, they'll give you your change in Cambodian money. There are ATMs but they aren't as common as here.

funkyirishman

Return to November