Antarctica classic 28 Nov

Meet travelling companions booked on G Adventures trips departing in November

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antarctica classic 28 Nov

Postby jessv » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Hello!

I'm all booked for this trip, and just wondered if there were any other travellers (especially solo) travellers booked to go. Sounds like it will be an amazing trip!

Jessica
jessv
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Antarctica classic 28 Nov

Postby carah70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Jessv

I'm booked too. Travelling solo, have booked a quad cabin & camping. I'm from England and travelling out on Wed 26th

Cara
carah70

Postby jessv » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:32 pm

carah70 wrote:Hi Jessv

I'm booked too. Travelling solo, have booked a quad cabin & camping. I'm from England and travelling out on Wed 26th

Cara

Hi Cara,

Thanks for replying to my message - it's so great to hear that there is at least one other solo traveller. I am also booked in the quad cabin and down for the camping - I wonder if we will be the same cabin :)

I'm from England too - Hertfordshire to be specific. I haven't booked my flights yet, but thinking of flying out either tues 25 th or wed 26th. Can I ask who you are flying with? I'm still trying to sort the flight details - I didn't realise until I looked how long the flight was!

I'm so excited about the trip :D
jessv

Postby carah70 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi, I booked my holiday with Explore! and let them sort out the flights. I requested a direct flight so I'm flying Heathrow - Buenos Aires with British Airways, its a more expensive option but I hate the thought of having to change planes, it is a long flight as it is, without making it longer by changing planes - especially for the return flight when you just want to get home. I arrive in BA about 8/9 am. I had some airmiles so have booked a couple of tours in BA through British Airways too - a cycling tour in the afternoon and then a Tango show with meal in the evening.

Have you booked your hotel yet. I'm staying at Tribeca Buenos Aires Apart, again Explore! sorted that out too.

Are you staying in South America after the cruise? Unfortunately, I am flying to BA straight away, 1 more night at the Tribeca, then home.

I have holidayed (is that word, holidayed??) lots by myself, but I am used to the big cruise lines, so this ship is going to be a whole new experience for me. Have you travelled by yourself before or been with G Adventures before?

Cara
carah70

Postby jessv » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:50 pm

At the moment I am looking at flights straight to Ushuaia, rather than having a night or 2 at BA. I may aim to arrive at Ushuaia on the Wed or Thur so there is time to explore the city or national park. Have you booked any extra nights at Ushuaia or are you aiming to arrive on the Friday? I've been looking up accommodation is Ushuaia and the pre tour hotel seems to be all booked up, so I may look for something else.

I will probably then leave straight after the tour ends rather than spending longer in Ushuaia to save on holiday days.

I normally get a tad sea sick on boats, so I'm hoping the boat will be big enough to be more stable than other boats I've been on in the past - I'll also stock up on travel sickness pills and hope for the best!

PS I read that we receive a free guide book, do you know if we get this beforehand or when we arrive. I would be keen to read up on Antarctica and Ushuaia before I arrive
jessv

Postby carah70 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:18 pm

I arrive in Ushuaia early Fri afternoon and staying at the Albatross and leaving Ushuaia as soon as we dock, having another stopover in Buenos Aires.

I have used Travel Ease travel pills when I've been in big seas on cruise ships and they have served me well in the past, when other passengers have taken ill, so I'll be bringing plenty with me too.

I don't think we get the guidebook until we are on the ship, but there is plenty to look up on the internet and youtube. If you want to book tours in advance then try viator.com or canalfun.com for some ideas. I have emailed for prices of a helicopter trip on Friday afternoon or Sat morning to the top of le cloche mountain.

I forgot to say I am 44 and from Gloucestershire :)
carah70

Postby jessv » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at those websites. I have finally booked my flights - I fly straight to Ushuaia and arrive late wed 26th, and then have 1 night in buenos aires on the way back. Now my flights are booked I'm super excited!

I've started looking up trips to the national park and glacier. Let me know what you find out on the scenic flight - I'd definately be up for that as long as it's not too expensive. I've got a couple of books from the library so I'm going to start reading up :D I've also got some seasickness travel bands, so I'm going to give those a try too.
jessv

Postby varshasivalingam » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 am

Hi,

I from Sydney and travelling solo on this trip as well :)

In the quad room and camping as well.
varshasivalingam
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jessv » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:47 am

varshasivalingam wrote:Hi,

Hello! What day do you arrive in Ushuaia? I will be arriving on late Wed 26th - I have a few days to explore the national park and town :D
jessv

Postby carah70 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:40 am

varshasivalingam wrote:Hi,

Hi varshasivalingam - we nearly have a room full! only another 100 or so to find :)

Have you been on the MS Expedition before? What are your travel plans before and after the trip?
carah70

Postby carah70 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:34 am

jessv wrote:I've started looking up trips to the national park and glacier. Let me know what you find out on the scenic flight - I'd definately be up for that as long as it's not too expensive.

Hi jessv & anyone else that would like to come along :D

Here is the helicopter trip details

Saturday morning - landing at Le Cloche summit
Approx tour time 45 mins
Approx flying time 30 mins
Hotel transfers included
Max 3 people per helicopter

We start from our offices in town and transfer passengers to Ushuaia's original airport where we do a mandatory safety briefing. We take off, and while we fly over the city, we move towards the east, soon we will be able to see the edgy summit of almost 4350 feet high from our emblematic, Olivia mountain. We continue through the Olivia River Valley, from which, we can see the Carbajal Valley with its imposing peatlands. Then we fly through the Tierra Mayor valley until we reach the Emerald Lagoon, which as it is formed by melted ice from a glaciar, has a wonderful emerald colour, as its name implies.We fly higher until we land on the summit of Le Cloche Mountain. Here, at the top of the Andes Mountain Range we have a spectacular panoramic view of the city and the channel. This mountain located at the south of Olivia Mountain reaches 3.273 feet high and was baptized by Louis f. Martial expedition as "cloche", because of its bell shape. We spend some time sightseeing and we have the opportunity to take us a picture standing at the top of the Andes Mountain Range with Ushuaia city just behind us.

320 USD - approx £187, price seems reasonable as I have done a heli trip before (approx. 15 mins and paid £100)

If interested what time on Saturday you would like to do it so I can arrange. Don't worry if you don't want to do this one, but appreciate if you would advise either way so I can go ahead and book my place, thanks

Here are some other trips they do:

Ushuaia 7 min flight - 99 USD
Emerald Lagoon 15 min flight - 180 USD
Remolino Ranch 45 min flight - 510 USD
Great Lakes & lunch 2 hour tour (1 hour flight) - 660 USD
Mitre Penisula & landing at Policarpo Ranch - 1950 USD

Oh my, I am so excited I could just burst!
carah70

Postby varshasivalingam » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:13 am

Hey !

So I am arriving into Buenos Aires early evening on the Nov 26th and decided to let G adventures deal with my flights to Ushuaia. I think they book us flights on the morning of the 28th

I have not been on the M/S before but I have been to Argentina and I am looking forward to going for the Argentine Experience again the night I am there. It was the best steak I have ever had !

Flying out straight after the cruise back to Sydney, it was a bit of a tight schedule for me booking this trip but just managed to squeeze it in.
varshasivalingam

Postby jessv » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Carah70,

Wow the helicopter trip sounds amazing! It would definately be an incredible way to start the trip. At the moment I am looking on various websites to plan my time for the extra few days I have to see what I can fit in. I might hold off confirming for now if thats alright - you go ahead and book your spot and once I have a better idea of what I can fit in I can always try and book later. At the moment I definately want to do a day trip to the national park and do some walking, as well as go up the chairlift to see the view of the glacier. I have also heard there is a penguin colony nearby that is worth visiting, and an old prison that has been turned into a museum. I have an extra 2 days in Ushuaia but already thats not looking enough!

I managed to get a few books from the library so am going to start doing some reading. I also bought Scott's diaries a while ago so that on my must read list to before I go :D
jessv

Postby jessv » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:20 am

varshasivalingam wrote:Hey !

So I am arriving into Buenos Aires early evening on the Nov 26th and decided to let G adventures deal with my flights to Ushuaia. I think they book us flights on the morning of the 28th

I have not been on the M/S before but I have been to Argentina and I am looking forward to going for the Argentine Experience again the night I am there. It was the best steak I have ever had !

Flying out straight after the cruise back to Sydney, it was a bit of a tight schedule for me booking this trip but just managed to squeeze it in.

Good plan getting G to sought out all your Ushuaia flights - I looked at that too. It was only after booking the trip I then realised it was almost mission impossible just trying to get to Ushuaia! I was keen to spend another few days before the trip in Ushuaia, so in the end booked my flights separately. I havent been to Argentina before, so really looking forward to it - we'll have to all go to dinner on the Friday night before the trip starts for some authentic Argentinian food!

It must be a long flight for you coming all the way from Austrailia? When I searched for flights they ranged from 25 hours all the way up to 50 hours!
jessv

Postby carah70 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks for your comments jessv about the helicopter. I have emailed them to book my place.

I looked at trips to the national park but due to my arrival time, this wasn't possible. The chairlift to the glacier looks good and an incredible view over Ushuaia - I looked at doing this too. There certainly is more to do in Ushuaia than one would first think.

I haven't been to Argentina before either, and to be honest South America doesn't appear on my todo list at all, so this trip is making me explore beyond what I would have planned to do and the more I find out about things online, the more excited I get about it.

I would love to have a night out with you all on Fri night. I think Argentineans are big on their beef, so we'll have to find somewhere that does veggie food too! There is an irish bar their that appears to be popular too. Are you both drinkers? I will try most things, but I'm not a big drinker ... cannot face the hangovers anymore.

I hope to get a trip to the museum and a general look around Ushuaia whilst there.

I think I should go to the library for a book about Scott, good idea jessv

What flight route do you take from Sydney varshasivalingam? May I ask do you have a first name? apologies if your username is your first name (I can often put my foot in it)
carah70

Next

Return to November