Delhi to Kathmandu YOLO

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Delhi to Kathmandu YOLO

Postby annierose » Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 am

Hi, I'm going on this trip 5th Nov-19th Nov... Just wondering if anyone else is going? A bit anxious about getting all the way there on my own and looking to see what other people are taking with them/ and experiences to share? :)
annierose
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Delhi to Kathmandu YOLO

Postby lynn16 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:26 am

Hi annierose,
my boyfriend and I have just booked this trip too. We're flying from London to Delhi a day before so we've time to get over jet lag! Where are you flying from? I'm really nervous about travelling India, and I've never been with G Adventures before so it's all really new. But we're both up for seeing the incredible sights though :D
Lynn
lynn16

Postby annierose » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Lynn :)
Glad to hear from someone else who is going! I'm so so excited but nervous about getting all the way there on my own! I'm flying from London too, arriving early morning on the 5th. What kind of stuff are you taking? Sounds really girly but I don't know what kind of clothes to take :P
annierose

Postby lynn16 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 am

Hi!
We're arriving on the 4th Nov, so have to fill a day in Delhi by ourselves, which I'm a bit wary of!
But you'll be fine flying yourself. I once flew London to Melbourne alone and it was fun, an adventure. Did you get a airport transfer to the hotel? We certainly booked one :)
As for clothes, I've the same dilemma as you but we are going on to Australia after this tour so I have to pack for summer down under too!
I was thinking of taking long trousers and long sleeve tops for India and counting on being able to do a washing every so often. Plus a shawl/scarf. I don't want to get bitten so I was planning on covering up as much as possible, plus as it's a religious country, I don't want to offend anyone. I'm only taking a small(ish) backpack too so have to think carefully about what I can fit in. At the moment it's mostly filled with medicines and bug spray! We've also got a wind up torch (in case of power cuts) and I also have a small microfiber towel for my hair when it's wet.
As for shoes, I'm taking walking boots, flip flops and flat slip ons.
We were also going to get a rain poncho (like you get at theme parks) because I don't think I want to take a full waterproof on the rest of my trip. Also, hat, gloves and thin fleece for Nepal.
Then I have to think about what to pack for a beach holiday!

Its nice to meet someone else going too, I've no idea what to expect from this trip! :)
lynn16

Postby annierose » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Oh wow, Australia after sounds amazing! and you sound incredibly organised :P
Thanks for the tips and ideas, I shall definitely take all that into consideration! This is my first proper travelling experience on my own so have no clue what to expect either, but my friends have been with GAdventures before and loved it! Exciting times ahead, I'm sure!
annierose

Postby annierose » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi Lynn, getting excited now, not long to go!! Just wondering what you're doing about your money? How are you taking it (cash, travellers cheques) and which currenices are you taking?

annierose

Postby lynn16 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am

Hi!
Yeah I'm getting excited/nervous too.
We were wondering about money as well. But seeing as you can't take Indian or Nepalese rupees into or out of those countries, we will be taking some cash (in pounds), and a cash card pre loaded with more pounds. I'm hoping to change money at the airport or hotel, and then use the card to take more out of ATMs. I'm also thinking about taking a credit card in case of emergency, but not made my mind up on that one yet. I kind of have a budget which I need to stick to so don't want to get carried away with visa spending!
Are you thinking of doing any extra excursions? We were thinking about the elephant ride and the jeep safari at least. It's feeling very real now! :D
lynn16

Postby annierose » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey :)
ok, that's sounds like a good plan! I've just got myself a credit card (incase of emergencies :P) and will take some Sterling cash. What kind of other card are you taking, like a debit card?
Yeh, I was thinking of doing all the extra excursions, I think I read somewhere £100 for all of them, and seeing as I'm going all that way I might aswell do as much as I can! Do you think you'll do the helicopter ride on the last day?
Was thinking today aswell about a little first aid kit, so gonna go on a shopping spree in Boots tomorrow :P
annierose

Postby lynn16 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi, no I don't think i'll take a debit card, just one of those per paid cash cards and my credit card. I think with the cash card you can top it up online so if I run out of money, I'll do that. Or I might change my mind again, I don't know!

Yeah I went to Boots a few weeks ago and got a load of stuff! Plasters, antiseptic hand gel and wipes, anti diahorrea tablets and rehydration powder, sting relief cream and mossie spray, loads of paracetamol! Today we went to get a course of anti malaria tablets and a couple of rain ponchos!

Yes I think we're going to do the Everest plane ride on the last day- it's expensive but you can't go all the way to Nepal and not see Everest! I think we'll do as much as we can too.

Hey, did you already get your Nepal visa or are you going to get it at the border crossing? I wanted to get mine before but I think ive left it a bit late now, just hope it's all ok at the border! I'm sure it will be, I'm just a bit of a worrier!

We leave 2 weeks on Sunday! :o
lynn16

Postby annierose » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:42 am

You sound very organised! Ah ok, what are the pre paid card things?
Yeh, I got my anti-malaria stuff a couple of weeks ago, and got a long long list for Boots!
My thoughts exactly! Can't wait to see Everest, always wanted to see it!
I'm going to get my Nepal visa at the border. My Godparents are going next week and are doing the same! But they said our guide will help us sort it all out once we're there :)
My flight gets in at like, 7am on the Tuesday so not sure what I'll do til I can get in my room! Maybe we could try meet up and have a wonder round Delhi if you have nothing planned? Have you found anyone else who is going on our trip?
So exciting!
annierose

Postby lynn16 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I think the pre paid cards are like a MasterCard which you load with cash before you go and you can use it as a normal MasterCard abroad, so in shops and taking money out at banks and things. I've not looked into properly yet but places like Thomas Cook do them. But if that's a no go then I'll take my debit card.
Yeah sure, we can meet up and go see something in the morning on the Tuesday if you like. I'd like to see the bazaars or the markets or go shopping anyway! We get in at 9 on the Monday so will have had a day to check things out.
No, you're the only other person I've met that's going so I hope there are a few more of us! But I'm glad I've met one other person at least :)
lynn16

Postby annierose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Cool. Yeh, I'd love to see the bazars and all the colours and just experience a new culture!
Exciting!!
annierose

At least one more person on the journey...

Postby d725539e2ffe740e7cac76d476702f » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi,

I'm joining this trip, too.
Since the trip disregards the highlights of Delhi, I'm going to arrive already on Saturday and explore the highligths of Delhi (both the touristy and culinary ones :) ) for three more days.
A few days for training my skills in speaking english probaby will help me to ;)

See you on the journey or maybe on the evening before.

Best wishes
Nils

p.s. sorry for this username
d725539e2ffe740e7cac76d476702f

Postby annierose » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Ah cool, nice to find someone else going :) where abouts are you from? aha, I'm sure your English is fine! You can take us on a tour of the best bits early Tuesday then :)
annierose

Postby d725539e2ffe740e7cac76d476702f » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:04 am

Hi,

It seems that I forgot to introduce myself - I'm from Leipzig/Germany. More you'll find out on the journey, certainly.
We could gladly go on a short trip on tuesday morning. I heard it should be amazing to visit an flower-market at an early hour...
d725539e2ffe740e7cac76d476702f

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge