Antarctica Classic in Depth XVAESX - 17 November

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antarctica Classic in Depth XVAESX - 17 November

Postby celestial-navigation » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Ten months today until we all gather in Ushuaia before sailing! (I may perhaps be a little keen)

Would love to chat with anyone else about packing, flights and general excitement!
celestial-navigation
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Antarctica Classic in Depth XVAESX - 17 November

Postby celestial-navigation » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm

At this rate it'll be a very quiet trip if no-one else is on board, anyone?!
celestial-navigation

Postby macrae11 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:06 am

Yes my wife and I are going from Canada. Honestly been so busy with work I haven't had much time to think about it yet.
macrae11
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby alexcowan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:35 pm

I'll be one of the Expedition Staff from mid-October through until February. If you have any questions feel free to post them here or in the Antarctica section and I'll do my best to respond between now and when I leave. Looking forward to meeting you on board!

Alex Cowan.
alexcowan

Postby celestial-navigation » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:43 am

Hey Alex!

You were EL when I went to Spitsbergen so great to hear you'll be on board again this year and am so looking forward to the trip!

I think that because I've done the North I'm pretty good with what I need to bring, but if there are any major differences in kit that you think are warranted that would be great to know. Also, do you have any tips for things to do in Ushuaia as my flight times are such that I've got three days there before we sail!
celestial-navigation

Postby alexcowan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 am

Great! Glad you enjoyed it enough to want to do another trip on board. Which Arctic trip did you do?

If you've done the north then you'll be an old hand down south. It's a bit colder and windier though, and it's likely you'll experience some rough weather on the way there or back. So bring an extra pair of socks and a spare pair of gloves!

Ushuaia is not the most exciting town in the world. If you had more than three days I'd suggest you get out and go elsewhere! But there are boat trips down the Beagle Channel to see the Magellanic Penguins (you'll only see those at a great distance with us so worth doing), and you can go and visit the glacier above town. But then you're going to see ridiculous quantities of ice on your trip so I wouldn't call Ushuaia's glacier unmissable!

The best bar in town is Dublin -- good pizza and draught Beagle beer.

Good to hear you're looking forward to it. Antarctica is SO different to Svalbard, it's going to blow you away.
alexcowan

Postby celestial-navigation » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 am

I had such a fab time, started planning immediately on when I could get back on board! It was just the standard realm of the polar bear - the exact dates escape me, but it was the trip with the group of photographers...

I think I'll probably just use the time to chill out after the stress of getting there then, thanks for the tip on the bar :) I'm actually going to Iceland in five days so between that and this trip I think the glacier is further down my list than it normally would be, but I at least get to give all the new cold weather gear I've bought a proper test run!
celestial-navigation

Postby alexcowan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:40 pm

We had a couple of photography groups. You'll have to tell me which bears you saw when we meet on board; that's how I tell the trips apart in my head, every bear is different!
alexcowan

Postby ktgrl1980 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:18 am

Me too!!
Hi guys....
I'm from Melbourne, Australia... I'm so excited about Antarctica :)
Thanks so much for all the info all over the forums Alex... very informative!!!
See you all in just over a month :)
katie
ktgrl1980

Postby datracer99 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:53 am

I'm on this trip :D From Sydney. I've been wanting to do Antarctica for ages.

celestial-navigation wrote:At this rate it'll be a very quiet trip if no-one else is on board, anyone?!

Yep, looks very quiet - only 5 of us on board!

I booked 6 months ago, but I've been so busy, only thought today to check the forums.
Can't wait for the trip. 8)

I'm arriving in Ushuaia on the 16th, so I have plenty of free time to start adjusting to the time zone and check out the local area (and make sure my luggage and I make it to the boat on time).
Anyone else arriving early?

I've been trying to get some feedback on the free jackets provided.
Are they adequate (with a couple of layers underneath) for the zodiac trips.
I received a free jacket for an arctic cruise last year (from another operator, not G Adventures), and left it on the ship, as it just wasn't that warm - I used my down filled jacket for the whole trip as it was much better.

I'm trying to work out if the jacket provided will do the job, as I don't want to lug around 2 jackets for the rest of my trip in South America.

So, has anyone got any feedback on the jackets provided this year on the M/S expedition?

Can't wait :D
David
datracer99

Postby alexcowan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:52 pm

If they're still the same Canada Goose jackets then yes, they're both warm and waterproof. Everyone seems very happy using them both ashore and on the Zodiacs. The waterproof outer and down liner are detachable too and can be worn as separate jackets.
alexcowan

Postby datracer99 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:41 pm

alexcowan wrote:If they're still the same Canada Goose jackets then yes, they're both warm and waterproof. Everyone seems very happy using them both ashore and on the Zodiacs. The waterproof outer and down liner are detachable too and can be worn as separate jackets.

Hi Alex

Sadly, they're not the Canada Goose - I've seen plenty of good feedback on those - they have a new jacket this year.

I've now clicked to why no-one can give me any info on them yet - they only started in October. Doh.

"Beginning in October 2013, all Expedition polar passengers will receive their own exclusive parka as part of the price of their trip.

They sound OK:
- Breathable waterproof fabric
- 5cm Thinsulate(TM) liner
- Removable hood with microfleece lining
datracer99

Postby alexcowan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:22 pm

I wondered if that might be the case. We'll have to wait and hear what the feedback is I guess.
alexcowan

Postby transafrica55 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Celestial-navigation - looking forward to meeting you and joining other shipmates on this adventure in two weeks time. Flying solo from the snowy Canadian Rockies to Ushuiai. Bring on the ice, rocks, wildlife and amazing scenery - I am ready for anything my 7th continent can provide.
Alexcowan - hope I can join one of your photography groups. Happy trails.
Transafrica55
transafrica55

Postby alexcowan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:34 am

Looking forward to meeting you! There are no photography groups as such, but our photographer in residence will be glad to give you all the advice you need.
alexcowan

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge