Is Fiji an expensive or cheap destination for a backpacker??

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Is Fiji an expensive or cheap destination for a backpacker??

Postby sarahpringle123 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi guys!

I will be spending a couple of weeks in Fiji next year (June 2014), but i have no clue about the general living costs while I'm out there!?

I know you can get budget accommodation, which is definitely where I'll be looking to stay, as i will be on a tight budget!

I have already booked onto a hop on hop off tour, which gives me 10 days accommodation included, but the rest of the time i will need to fund myself!

The three main islands i will be spending my time on are Viti Levu, Beachcomber Island and Mantaray Island (possibly visiting a few others if time and money allows!)

If anyone has traveled around Fiji before or has any info on daily budgets for food/accommodation, i would really appreciate any advice :-)
sarahpringle123
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Is Fiji an expensive or cheap destination for a backpack

Postby cdn_walkabout » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi I have spent a month travelling the eastern side of Fiji ~ Taveuni, Ono Island, Kandavu. Fiji is one of the best travel bargains going. Everyone speaks English as it was a British colony and heavily visited by religious groups. Inter island flights are easy and relatively inexpensive. Go direct to Fiji airlines website for best deals. Do book airfare from LAX with them as every other airline consolidates onto this flight and you will save alot. I recommend getting as far away from Nadi and Vita Levu as possible to experience the real Fiji. There you will just get American style hotels and the largest Indian population outside Delhi. The Fijian people are amazingly friendly and the outer islands are very safe. Avoid the touristy brochures that send you up on party boats along the northwest islands unless you wish a fraternity type experience. I spent about $6000 for my month and lacked for nothing. I even did 49 scuba dives in that cost and they are not cheap so you can really live in Fiji. I am hoping to revisit and perhaps retire there one day.

Enjoy!
cdn_walkabout

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific