Working holiday in Australia

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Working holiday in Australia

Postby laurennurse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 am

Hiya guys,

I am heading into Sydney in January.

Does anyone have any advise on how to get myself ready for work there? E.G Bank accounts / TAX codes etc.

Thanks

Lauren x
laurennurse
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Working holiday in Australia

Postby nikimarcotte » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:53 pm

if you are a student...there used to be a program calls SWAP...student work abroad program through the universities...and they would arrange for you to have all that stuff set up and orientate you in Sydney in the first couple days you were there, then you were on your own. commonwealth bank worked for me we set up Tax File Number downtown Sydney(which you must have before you can be hired anywhere)...I just brought travellers cheques that I then deposited into a local bank and used that information for any job I had, they did direct deposit, so used my card for the local bank all the time I was in oz. don't know if travellers cheques would be recommended now....but could also open and account at the first bank you find once you are there...then either transfer money or withdraw money from an ATM and deposit in you new account. they also used to have cheap phone cards available at post offices...you got cheap long distance....I think I paid 8cents/min to Canada back in 2000...but that may have changed. Also, because I went throught SWAP, there was and IEP(international exchange program) office in downtown Sydney that had a job posting board you could look at for jobs and when I had troubles finding work....I was a girl with construction experience...so they wouldn't hire me to do construction work because I was a girl, and shops wouldn't hire me to do girl work because I had no experience. then, they actually found a job for me, which was a great relief after failing totally on my own.
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific