Newbie off to Oz for 2 months!

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Newbie off to Oz for 2 months!

Postby h.d.hadfield » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi everybody!

Im off to explore the East Coast, starting in Cairns in November 2013 and working my way down to Sydney for New Years using either Greyhound/Oz experience!

Just wondering if anybody else going around same time as its my first solo travelling and im naturally a little anxious!

Also anybody got any tips for where to stay for new years? Looks like most places have a minimal stay over XMAS and NY was thinking staying in a hostel at Bondi Beach and then travelling into city for NYE.

Any tips/recommendations greatly appreciated!

If anybody off to do Indochina tour in January check out my post there!

Thanks for reading and happy travels :) xx
h.d.hadfield
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Newbie off to Oz for 2 months!

Postby desiree2 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:02 am

Hi
Sydney accommodation of any type can be hard to get for NYE. I'd suggest you start seriously thinking about where to stay well before you arrive. Plenty of public transport to get you into the city so you won't have to stay right in town - which is just as well because accommodation prices tend to be much higher, and as you said, a lot of places have a minimum stay.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby nikimarcotte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 pm

oz experience is way better than greyhound.... you meet all other backpackers so you find other people heading the same way interested in the same stuff as you...plus they stop anywhere you want and don't just go directly between big cities, they go to all sorts of funky off the beaten track places along the way.
i was in Sydney for the millennium celebration and it was amazing....but i am sure you will want to be booking way in advance for any kind of accomodations. i was lucky and had been in the country for a few months already and met some locals to stay with :)
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby charlotte1510 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 am

Hiya,

I arrived in Australia four days ago and headed to Surfers Paradise first on the East Coast, I have really struggled here. I'll be honest it hasn't been a good start to my Australia trip and I can't wait to leave.

If you are considering it I recommend you just don't or only spend a few days here.
charlotte1510
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kcupp95 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:36 am

charlotte1510 wrote:Hiya,
If you are considering it I recommend you just don't or only spend a few days here.

Recommend you don't come to Australia or don't go to Surfers Paradise?

No offence but your problems in Australia is due to staying with your friend, not the country itself. Book yourself in nice hostel and enjoy the beach and theme parks that the Gold Coast has to offer. Head up to Mount Tamborine to get away from the city life as well.

Or even better get the hell out of the Gold Coast and head down to Byron Bay or up to Sunshine Coast where its a lot more chilled out and relaxed and much less party than Surfers.

Don't judge an entire country on a crappy few days based on staying with a friend that has completely different expectations and ideas to you.
kcupp95

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific